Is my 1980 C-30 mast deck stepped or keel stepped?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 15, 2004
Catalina 30 Benicia, California
Hi - I'm about to have the spreaders replaced on my 1980 C-30. A question that has come up is whether the mast is deck stepped or keel stepped. I think it is deck stepped, but other boaters in the marina think it is keel stepped. Thanks for your help. Bob

F

frankr

Look down below

Look down below, if the mast extends thru the deck into the cabin and rests in the keel area of the bilge then it is keel steped. If it sits on a plate on the deck it is deck steped. Desk stepped mastes usually have a smaller diamater post under them in the cabin area.

C

Chief

Deck Stepped

All Catalina 30's are deck stepped. I sometimes wish that was not the case, however when you look below at all of the open space you appreciate the room.

B

Bob

Compression Post Issue

Hey Bob, indeed all Catalina 30's have the mast deck mounted. Below, that teak pillar under the mast is but one part of the support system. Open the access board to your bilge, look back toward the head with a flashlight and you will see the compression post (wood is fiberglass encapsulated). This wood is subject to rot and slumping and the factory replaced it with a steel section in the '88 Mark II model. For many Catalina owners compression post slumping is a major issue, because you can see the deck portion at the base of the mast dipped indicating the deterioration problem. The mast sits on a plate recessed in the deck. The compression post can be repaired or replaced, but requires the removal of the mast and a lot reconstruction and sweat equity. I beleive many have just lived with the problem through the life of their ownership with no performance issues. Their are several repair articles on the subject. One reason we would all love to see the mast mounted through the deck is this one problem. Get to know your vessel.......... Go to "resources" Go to "Sailing Web Sites" Go to "page 2" Go to "International 30 Catalina Association" Have fun......... Bob Catalina 30 '88 Breezin II

Status
Not open for further replies.