Is it wise to install a used mast?

Nov 3, 2021
Hunter 44DS Not sure yet
I’m considering purchasing a 44 foot sailboat that was demasted by a hurricane, looking to put a salvaged mast back into action. Of course new Rigging. Thoughts?

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Is that a B&R rig? You would need a mast that was built for that sail plan unless you plan to change the rig. You'd be pretty lucky to find a salvaged mast that you wouldn't have to ship. You can change the rig but someone would have to do the math (Engineering) for the new rig. You would potentially have different chain plate locations without the swept back spreaders not to mention concerns about rig tensions, deck scantlings and a host of other issues.
What I am thinking is that the cost of a new mast might not be so much worse than the salvaged mast. You would be able to insure and sell the boat.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
If you love the boat, call the company that made the spar and get an estimate on cost new including shipping with all new rigging. Then make an offer accordingly. What happen to the sellers insurance?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Is it wise to install a used mast?

Only if the new mast is too expensive and you are not looking for a motor boat.

I would advise care in looking at a hurricane totaled boat. The damage that will get you is most likely hidden from view. Loose a mast and the damage on a 44ft boat could be involve the hull.