Is it possible to laminate starbaord together?

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
WD Schock Wavelength 24 Wallenpaupack
I am attempting to fix split hatch railsfor my boat, and since I get better responses here than elsewhere... (you know NOT a capri).

I know I can buy sheets of starboard in 3/4 inch by 54 or less.. what I need to do is 1" by 50" cut into a C shape (see black tracks below)... My thought was to laminate 2 3/4" inchers together, then route out a groove for the hatch itself to slide in...

Jul 3, 2013
Another thought if gluing does not pan out is to cut three pieces of the proper size - wide, narrow, wide.

Plane them to 1/4 inch thickness each, and bolt them all together.

No glue holding them together, just the mechanical fasteners.

Jul 3, 2013
From the King Plastics website: http://www.kingplastic.com/wp-content/u ... rBoard.pdf

The .pdf has some info on working with StarBoard, including:

"Because King StarBoard sheet products are designed to resist water and grime, they cannot be painted and the use of adhesives is not recommended. If gluing is absolutely necessary, products such as 3M’s Scotch-Weld DP-8005 and Lord Corporation’s 7540-AB have been used with some success. Special welding rods designed for use with polymer sheets are also available."

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
Yeah I spent some time googling after my post... basically the general consensus is to weld is NOT a good idea... However the "3 pieces, cut to different sizes" makes sense to me. Since the outermost piece is thick, and is mechanically held together (screw/bolt) it might work best... also starboard is stronger at the narrower thicknesses (by the inch).

So far I've worked a bit with Starboard and I'm impressed with it's ability to work in replace of wood. The S2 is a pretty teak free boat as it stands.. but some of the 30yo plastic parts are falling apart.

Thought I'd get my best tips here.

May 16, 2012
Catalina Capri 22 IL
shnool said:
Yeah I spent some time googling after my post... basically the general consensus is to weld is NOT a good idea... However the "3 pieces, cut to different sizes" makes sense to me. Since the outermost piece is thick, and is mechanically held together (screw/bolt) it might work best... also starboard is stronger at the narrower thicknesses (by the inch).

So far I've worked a bit with Starboard and I'm impressed with it's ability to work in replace of wood. The S2 is a pretty teak free boat as it stands.. but some of the 30yo plastic parts are falling apart.

Thought I'd get my best tips here.
I've taken plastic parts to a local plastic guy who can re-create or even improve on the parts. Something like that would be very easy to re-produce in a better plastic. My dad's 7.9 has the same issue but he won't spend the $$ to fix it. The worst part is when people step on the lexan cover and break it as well.

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
Might be a good way to go Patrick... I'm going to call around.. sometimes it makes sense to leave the part design to the pros... I get that.

I also count myself lucky to have found an S2 with an original lexan hatch, that hasn't been broken yet (that could be the end of it right there, like Murphy's law)..

You all geared up for your trip east in the middle of our Nor Easter? Showing 5-11 inches of snow Wednesday, yes the busiest travel day of the year.

May 16, 2012
Catalina Capri 22 IL
shnool said:
You all geared up for your trip east in the middle of our Nor Easter? Showing 5-11 inches of snow Wednesday, yes the busiest travel day of the year.
Just about. Traveling on Thursday hopefully after all the crap has passed. Then by Friday things should be great for the tow home.

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
I found a local guy who will sell me the part I need... he is a tool and die guy.... and also owns the same make/model boat. price was his cost too... Hard to beat that.

May 16, 2012
Catalina Capri 22 IL
shnool said:
I found a local guy who will sell me the part I need... he is a tool and die guy.... and also owns the same make/model boat. price was his cost too... Hard to beat that.
My dad's S2 could use them as well... Any possibility to get another set?

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina Capri-18 Dallas TX
Sounds like a better solution.

As to gluing starboard?
West Systems G-Flex was made specifically for that kind of service.
It does requite flame prep, but that's not a serious problem.

I'm still kinda hinky about gluing those kinds of plastics.
I'd still want a bolt in the corners to handle the sheers.