Is it a good price?

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

John McKissack

I am wanting to buy a MacGregor 2 22 They want $2250. Everything seems to be in working order. The interior is not too bad, buy there are surface cracks around the winches and the trailer fenders have a few rust holes. They said the sails are in good order, but I don't know what to look for. This will be my first sailboat bigger than a sunfish, although I did build and operate a 70' longliner (that was another life). This boat will be an 18th anniversary gift to my wife and myself ;) I have a photo of it on the web at www.nrock.com/pic/port.jpg Any advise welcomed, John

D

Doug Rodrigues

Prices

I paid $2,500 for my 1972 Venture 2-22. In good condition, it came with a 6 hp outboard, nav lights, new alcohol stove, new marine head, one good set of sails, and an almost rust free trailer. You'll have to check-out other similar boats to determine if you want to pay the price. The "blue book" on my boat was $1,200, but there is no way that I could have purchased a similar boat for $2,500. At Lake Tahoe, there is a 1986 MacGregor 25, in better than average shape that will sell for $3,500: no outboard, and one set of sails. I'm planning to purchase that boat in about 2-3 months. There are good deals out there, but you have to find them. Suggest that you take another MacGregor boat owner to inspect that boat prior to purchase. The price seems very low.

C

Chip Giles

Not too bad of a price

If the trailer is in pretty good shape, it sounds like a fair price. I would unroll the sails out in the yard and go around the edges looking for rips and tears. Any sail tape is a giveaway that the sails may not be in great shape. If you have too many tears, then look out. Sails are very expensive. You probably want to look down in the storage compartments and in the bilge for leakage. This is a sign of a mildewy boat. I would put it in the water and take it for a spin, if possible. Make sure that the rudder and tiller assembly are in good shape. That is more money to fix. All these boats have a few surface cracks. Look for the major stuff. Make sure there are no major cracks around the chainplates. Another consideration is the cushions. They are expensive to replace. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.