Is anyone going for one last cruise of the season

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
The Dafs and Tulips are up, Spring has sprung!!! April is Summer already.
Pussy Willows in bloom, Red Wing Blackbirds stopped here on their way north, as are the early signs of Snow and Canada Geese. A bit of light snow today and brrr cold.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
1580902001496.jpeg

Friends of ours were crossing to the Bahamas and had their headstay furler separate on their Catalina while in the Gulf Stream. Luckily the halyard kept it aloft until they got back to No Name Harbor. All fixed plus more items replaced while the rigger was there, $$$$.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@All U Get you make a good argument for a careful inspection of your rig before leaving home port on a passage. The "It's only 100 miles and the boat's in good shape, no complaints" just puts the boat and crew at risk.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
That turnbuckle was under the drum of the furler, not an easy part to see without taking it down. Glad they didn’t lose the mast out in the lumpy stream.

Oct 22, 2014
Glad they didn’t lose the mast out in the lumpy stream.
You and me both.

As you say the turnbuckle is difficult to inspect. All the more reason to have a scheduled plan of inspection and to follow it. We humans often do not like to do difficult. That is the thing that gets us into trouble. Then we have to rely on luck to pull us through. Sometimes we are lucky... Other times we become a statistic.

Oct 22, 2014
"Ain't no sunshine when Rains....
And it's raining here today...
It's so cold, damp, and dreary....
I'm feeling mighty weary...
no wind to sail me away....."

The chill of PacificNW winter snuck in last night replacing a hint of spring sunshine from yesterday. I am focused on inside work, that sink drain that needs replacing, as the coffee pot brews another helping of that sweet black energy boost and gloom slayer.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
The chill of PacificNW winter snuck in last night
And I've spent the morning out in the sunshine racking the last of the winter leaves before I have to mow the lawn. It's hell living way up north and having all this work. Should be down at the boat!