Is a vang necessary after adding a traveller?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mike

I'm going to install a traveller on my 1989 mac 26d. The main sheet is located about in the center of the boom and will remain there. I'm wondering after adding the traveller if a boom vang is still going to be as useful as before?

J

Jack

Yes

The vang has a different function than a traveler. If you want to optmize your performance you will want a vang.

S

Steve O.

to elaborate..

The purpose of a traveller is to move the boom side to side (port/stbd)while a vang pulls the boom down and flattens the sail--two completely different functions. You also can use a vang as a jibe preveventer when running downwind.

D

dave

absolutelY

the vang will hold down your boom downwind, the traveler will not

D

Don Guillette

IS A VANG NECESSAY AFTER ADDING A TRAVELER

mike: Another reason why the vang is an important addition is that the mainsheet looses its effectiveness whe the boom goes over the side of the boat. In other words, a lot of the mechanical advantage is lost due to the pulling angle. As a result, the boom will tend to rise up. Also, two controls are used to adjust twist in the mainsail and they are the mainsheet and the boom vang. So my recommendation is to add the vang.

M

Mike

Don Guillette - About your book

Don, I just got your Sail Trim Users Guide and have a question for you. At the start of Chapter 4 on page 37, you say: "On a masthead rig sailboat the 'engine' is the jib. On a fractional rig sailboat, the 'engine' is the mainsail. Since the masthead rig is the most common, we will discuss the jib in that context" Since I have a Mac which is fractionally rigged, do I have to interpret or make adjustments to any of the information you present about jib adjustments?

Status
Not open for further replies.