Irwin 32.5 CC performance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 13, 2012
AMF Puffin Edgewater, MD
I am considering purchasing a 1973 Irwin 32.5 CC. I've never sailed one before and it's on the hard, so I can't take it for a "test sail."

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with this boat that could share their impressions on it's performance, handling and maintenance issues. I'm not looking for a racer, but I don't want to have to wait for a small craft warning just to have enough wind to sail it. (My brother claims from looking at the spec's that it's too heavy for its sail area, so it will take a lot of wind to move it.)

Any wisdom to share would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Carlyle

May 16, 2012
Irwin 32.5 Lk. St. Clare,
We baught a 32.5 CC just about a year ago. Your info is correct. She is a bit heavy and not the fastest boat on the lake. I have a 160% Genny which helps. 12 to 15 K is perfect. Less then 10, you make better time under power. On the other hand, I don't think about reefing until 25. All in all, I am happy with her.
NorEaster II
Mike

Jun 26, 2004
Irwin 38 cc mark2 sandy hook nj

I many be able to help since I owned my 32.5 cc ketch for 33 years. I sail in the NY, NJ waters to Block Island. Been out in all kinds of weather. Yes, the boat is on the heavy side, but when it was built that was about correct for that size boat.
Here are my reasons for liking the boat.
Sailing the boat in light winds less then 10 knots can be slow if you are using the stock sails, You are going to want a genny and a cruising spinnaker which I have. Now you have up wind and down wind covered.
The boat is a fixed keel 4' draft which works for the waters.The lay out is good for two, Even though it will sleep 4, we use the forward cabin for all our stuff. I tell my wife the back cabin is the captains cabin.
I installed a dodger and Bimini, This will completely enclose the cockpit with the side curtains installed in bad weather. Now you have a place to go and hang out.
The center cockpit gives you a good position when sailing and keeps you dry from waves over the bow.
Once the sails are up you can sail with out leaving the cockpit.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2004
Irwin 38 cc mark2 sandy hook nj
just an update on my irwin. The boat was a total loss when hurricane sandy hit NJ. I did save a few items, if anyone need stuff let me know what. I may have it. I do have all the drawings and specs for the boat it was a 1977 ketch.

Status
Not open for further replies.