Irwin 25 without centerboard keel

Jul 25, 2015
Irwin 25 Georgetown
Hello all new to the ownership of a new to me 25' irwin 10 / 4 without the centerboard keel. It was taken out prior to my purchase of her. Now she only drafts about 3' of water and without the centerboard I have noticed a great difference in the way she sails vs other boats I have been on. It seems that the helm always needs to be monitored while under sail because she tends to wander. I am just wondering about the saftey of her. Is it typically easier for these types of boats to get knocked down?? How much wind is sage to sail in? Should I consider replacing the centerboard? If so where would I get one for the boat? If anyone out there could help that would be amazing and Thano you in advance!!

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
You state the boat had a centerboard keel. Typically a centerboard refers to a swing centerboard which does not contain the ballast weight. A swing keel contains some or all of the ballast weight.
My O'day 25 swing centerboard weighs 65 lbs. The shoal draft keel contains the 1800 lbs of ballast. I can sail with the CB in the full up position and only lose pointing ability. Stability and handling are not affected.
If the Irwin is a true swing keel and most or all of the weight is in the swing keel you are missing a lot of your ballast. I would be concerned.

One indicator to what type swing board or keel may be the lifting mechanism. I raise my CB just by pulling up on a line. A heavy swing keel will require a mechanical lifting mechanism, such as a hand winch.

I hope that gives you something to look at while waiting for others with more experience with that specific boat jump in.

Jul 8, 2015
Irwin 25 Aspasia Marina, South Portland, ME
Unfortunately, I don't have any information that can help you, but I did just want to say that I have an Irwin 25 (not 10-4). There don't seem to be many Irwin 25s out there so... solidarity.

Mine is new to me, but I have centerboard issues as well. It appears that at some point, someone put in a bunch of spray foam along the inside of the hull where the centerboard mechanism is. Why this was done I have no idea and am currently researching, but I believe that this has seized up the centerboard and that it will no longer deploy. I'm wondering if the centerboards on Irwin 25s are consistently an issue.

Nov 2, 2015
Irwin 10/4 Queens Lake Marina, Va
I just bought an Irwin 10/4 without a centerboard, too. I'm not worried about the safety of the boat but it does slip when trying to hold course. If anyone knows of a centerboard I can buy or where I might begin looking, please help. I have an atomic 4 inboard engine that is doing pretty well but I am thinking about putting an outboard on the boat when my confidence in the atomic runs out. Anyone know of a 10/4 with an outboard?

P

Pater

Hi, I own an Irwin 27. She is a true keel/ center boarder, typical of the racing designs Irwin and Hinterholler were known for. When I found mine the board was stuck in the up position in the keel slot. Apparently she had been left with the board down and the tide went out. when it came back in, the board was bent. in the process of getting the board back into the keel trunk, the cable snapped. I used a hand saw to with a hook braised at the tip to pull the board down. then drove the clevis out and took the board to a forge to get it hammered straight. Is yours truly missing? Have you looked into the keel trunk? the Irwin web site had scalable drawings for replacement boards you can have cut from a piece of 3/8 Stainless steel plate and bored with the correct size pivot hole.
Regarding safety, the 10 4 is known for her stability, so I wouldn't be concerned there batten down at 20 knts. The centerboard is to limit meandering.
All the best,
Pater