Irwin 10/4 - common probs, how do they sail?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MayYetQualify

Hi All -

Am looking at buying a '76 Irwin 10/4.

Good price, seemingly in quite good condition. It is being hauled out tomorrow and I plan to go back and look at it myself some more or hire a pro to make 100% sure there aren't big repairs on things I can't see.

Are there common problems with these that I should be aware of and check out myself (am a mechanical engineer so know structures and materials - but not a marine surveyor by any stretch) to find any "deal-breakers" before going ahead and hiring that pro?

Is a keel-centerboard with the Yanmar diesel.

Finally, how well do these sail? Have sailed a few models of boat, but not a wide variety. Sailed a swing keel Catalina 22 the most. How does that wide beam affect things?

Thanks,
Andy

10/4 parts

10/4 parts

Hi Andy, I just purchased a 10/4 that is going to be used for parts. I don't have many answers for your question, but I can tell you that yanmar makes an excellant engine. The boat I got has an issue with the centerboard, it is missing, so check that carefully. In any event, if you need any parts, let me know. I am in New York. You can reach me at Binder72@verizon.net Thanks, Matt
Hi All -

Am looking at buying a '76 Irwin 10/4.

Good price, seemingly in quite good condition. It is being hauled out tomorrow and I plan to go back and look at it myself some more or hire a pro to make 100% sure there aren't big repairs on things I can't see.

Are there common problems with these that I should be aware of and check out myself (am a mechanical engineer so know structures and materials - but not a marine surveyor by any stretch) to find any "deal-breakers" before going ahead and hiring that pro?

Is a keel-centerboard with the Yanmar diesel.

Finally, how well do these sail? Have sailed a few models of boat, but not a wide variety. Sailed a swing keel Catalina 22 the most. How does that wide beam affect things?

Thanks,
Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.