• Sailing is all about the Weather.

Big into the exploration of Atlantic Hurricanes since Katrina came uninvited into his world, James (Jim) Gurley (JamesG161) has followed every Tropical Storm birthed in Atlantic, Gulf and Caribbean waters since. Being a boater, he knows that we often need more time to prepare than we get from the TV weather folk. Jim relies on the science of storm development to share early warning info with friends and fellow boaters.

Early in 2018, Jim and John Shepard, (JSSailem) started to chat about the weather data available. John asked Jim to help forecast Pacific NW storms, and this morphed into discussions on weather forecasting.

For John, sailing in the PNW is sometimes hit and miss. One day is ugly, then a string of beautiful days but no wind, followed by a series of blue-sky days and 12 knot breezes. Being ready for those great sailing days means you need to look to the Pacific Ocean and what is brewing. John has been into Pacific NW Weather since the 1970’s when his first PNW November storm hit bringing more than 40 days and 40 nights of continual rain.

Together we want to share information, new APPs, safety, and thoughts about letting the weather help you. Identify some of the resources for sailors and help prepare you for your next sailboat outing.

It is far better to go out on the water knowing what to expect in weather terms, than to be out on the water and see dark ominous clouds suddenly appear, unprepared.

Invest 92L

JamesG161

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Alert out now and the Hurricane Hunters left from Kessler AFB at 5:00am CST.

They are surveying the storm now.

recon_AF303-02BBA-INVEST.png

Screenshot 2024-06-21 at 8.48.20 AM.png

We are monitoring this fixed station on the path now.

NDBC - Station 41117 Recent Data

plot_met.php.png

New warnings soon!

Jim...

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 287 Pensacola, FL
Technology: Being able to tell the wind is blowing 15-20 knots from starboard while moving forward at 300 knots. :wow3:

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Let's just hope that it won't stop and "cook" in the Gulfstream for a couple of days.

JamesG161

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Let's just hope that it won't stop and "cook" in the Gulfstream for a couple of days.
:plus::plus:

But Invest 92L is doing this now.

Screenshot 2024-06-21 at 1.39.51 PM.png

Raining out as it comes ashore. :clap:

Jim...

PS: Hurricane Hunter heading back home.

recon_AF303-02BBA-INVEST.png

jssailem

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Technology:
Yes It is amazing.
Using dropwindsondes.
P-3 Orion: Into the Storm
Four-engine propeller plane in the air

Slicing through the eyewall of a hurricane, buffeted by howling winds, blinding rain and violent updrafts and downdrafts before entering the relative calm of the storm’s eye, NOAA’s two Lockheed WP-3D Orion four-engine turboprop aircraft, affectionately nicknamed "Kermit" (N42RF) and "Miss Piggy" (N43RF), probe every wind and pressure change, repeating the often grueling experience again and again during the course of an 8-10 hour mission.

Scientists aboard the aircraft deploy Global Positioning System (GPS) dropwindsondes as NOAA Corps officers pilot and navigate the P-3 through the hurricane. These instruments continuously transmit measurements of pressure, humidity, temperature, and wind direction and speed as they fall toward the sea, providing a detailed look at the structure of the storm and its intensity. The P-3s' tail Doppler radar and lower fuselage radar systems, meanwhile, scan the storm vertically and horizontally, giving scientists and forecasters a real-time look at the storm. The P-3s can also deploy probes called bathythermographs that measure the temperature of the sea.

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 287 Pensacola, FL
I knew about the drop sondes. But I was looking at the recon map and there are wind barbs from where they launched out to sea. And there are a lot more wind barbs than there are available drops. So how do they measure wind speed and direction without a dropsonde?

JamesG161

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
opps @WayneH

Update the post for more info on NOAA Aircraft.

As a Moderator i was updating without showing the update

My Bad...:facepalm:

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
We had some pretty violent unforecasted weather pass through Charleston one day when I lived there. Years later the powers that be were still undecided as to whether it was a hurricane or not.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Today in South Florida there were basically random showers including some zitt/boom events but no wind. Rain was at times heavy but not unusually so here. Not sure if this weather is related to the on/off tropical event off Jacksonville.
I'll venture you Charlestown folks don't have to go to ground (Well there's no ground to go to!).
Listen to some CCR "Have you ever seen the rain" and chill.

Johann

Jun 3, 2004
Leopard 39 Pensacola
I knew about the drop sondes. But I was looking at the recon map and there are wind barbs from where they launched out to sea. And there are a lot more wind barbs than there are available drops. So how do they measure wind speed and direction without a dropsonde?
The barbs are flight level winds. They are calculated by comparing the aircraft true airspeed and heading with the ground speed and ground track.