INVERTER SET UP

Aug 11, 2011
O'day 30 313 Georgetown MD
So, once again I look to the forum for some guidance on an inverter installation. I have a 700 Watt inverter. Should I run it through the distribution panel or direct off the Deep Cycle House Battery Bank. Usage is mainly for the coffee machine, charging the lap top, perhaps and little TV. I don't have a microwave on board so I'm thinking 700 Watts is enough. Any advice would be appreciated.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
700 watts is about 60 amps at 12V, so it would probably be the largest load on the distribution panel by a wide margin. What’s the existing wire gauge to and from the distribution panel, and how long are the wire runs? Will you try to tie the inverter output into the house AC circuit or keep it separate?

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Should I run it through the distribution panel or direct off the Deep Cycle House Battery Bank.
Dare I say that I do not understand this question at all?

The inverter TAKES power FROM the batteries. Period. Any inverter needs rather large wires due to the load (and of course the distance from the batteries).

How you choose to OUTPUT the A/C FROM the inverter TO the A/C loads depends on your answer to David's question.
Will you try to tie the inverter output into the house AC circuit or keep it separate?
If you choose to tie your A/C inverter output into the boat's existing A/C system, then you MUST assure that the inverter output and shorepower are NEVER on at the same time. This will require a transfer switch. Otherwise, you could use the receptacles on the inverter itself and run extension cords SEPARATE from your existing boat A/C system and avoid the need for the transfer switch.

You should do a lot more research on this subject.

Jul 23, 2009
Beneteau 31 Oceanis Grand Lake, Oklahoma
Directly from the batteries, fused and preferably switched. It will require large gauge wire but you probably know that. Are you sure 700 watts will run your coffee maker?

Aug 11, 2011
Are you sure 700 watts will run your coffee maker?
Not sure. its an old style Farberware coffee percolator. It's been in our family for years. Maybe a little research into power requirements is in order.

I believe I found the answer through your collective thoughts. Direct power, large cables, inline fuse.
Thanks everyone.

Aug 17, 2010
Oday 35 Barrington
I will suggest that coffee making is best done with the propane stove, if you have one. Or you can get a butane camp stove if you do not. Cheaper/faster/easier to do.

Oct 7, 2008
Oday Oday 35 Chesapeake Bay
There is nothing like percolated coffee over a stove on a sailboat in the morning. Actually, I took my invertor out when I first bought the boat and have never found a need for one since. Too many complications.

Aug 11, 2011
Ok guys, I know you are all chomping at the bit to hear what I finally did. So the inverter is a 1000watt unit, with two 110 AC outlets. It has three fuses built in. The brand is Bestek. Nothing expensive, it was a gift. I hooked it up to the house bank battery using 4AWG cables. The hot wire is fused at the battery again, 50AMP. The intended use is for charging my laptop, iPads, drill batteries etc. and if I want to watch the news on the TV (although there is no real good news nowadays). I'm going with butane to heat water for coffee and tea. Just thought you inquiring minds would like to know!!!!!
tempImage9wbcGV.png

(Again sorry for the orientation of the picture, I just can't seem to get it right)

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Just be aware that a 1000W inverter could draw up to about 90A DC. Your 4AWG wire should be ok with that, possibly with some voltage drop depending on the length of the run. Your 50A fuse, on the other hand, will not be ok with that.

For the types of loads you’re planning the 50 A fuse may be adequate. It should provide about 500 watts on the AC side after losses. If it were me I’d probably up the fuse to 100 or 125 A, consistent with the wire size. That might prevent you from being confused why the fuse is getting blown a few years down the road if you forget the original plans.

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
A fuse size of 100 or 125 amps exceeds the ampacity of #4 wire.