Internet

tgo918

Nov 12, 2009
unknone same fl
We've not yet move to a boat but we are planing. what is the best and cheapest way to get internet on the boat. thanks

C

C'est La Vie

Depends on where the boat will be

We've not yet move to a boat but we are planing. what is the best and cheapest way to get internet on the boat. thanks
If you are going to sail inland or near shore, the easiest and most cost effective internet solution is to get laptop with wireless (EV-DO or HSPA) built in, or get an air card from a carrier such as Verizon or AT&T. Both provide excellent, relatively high speed internet access.

If off shore, that is altogether another issue-will require SSB or satellite service (both relatively slow in today's terms)

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
I was able to tether my new Palm Pre to my laptop and am using it as I type. The cable Internet that I use at home is down and this is really convenient and fast. I can now serf the net any where I can get a cell signal. It will also pick up available wifi when surfing with just the phone. I is running at 11mbps which is the same as my cable Internet. Best part is the tethering program is a one time $14.99 charge. My Sprint account includes unlimited internet.

tgo918

Nov 12, 2009
unknone same fl
Re: Depends on where the boat will be

Thanks, the boat will be in the Fl. Keys but should be the same everywhere as far as cell service. Thanks.