Internet and telephone while off-shore in Canadian Pacific Northwest

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Reading the specs for the cheap antenna, it’s only rated IP 45. The $2500 boat antenna is rated IP 56
The "cheap" antenna is used OUTSIDE 24/7, rain, shine or snow, on RVs, home and some boats, worldwide. Seems to work fine outside getting wet, otherwise there would be 2 million complaints and a recall.

The actual box portion is obviously installed out of the weather.

The new 2.0 version is less complex, and lacks the motor drive for alignment. I would think that would be more reliable, but we own the previous version, so can't say how well version 2.0 is built. But it also is designed to be outside in all normal weather, 24/7

I wouldn't rely on it for offshore emergencies. Hard for a small dish to get a good lock on a small boat when underway. At anchor ? Good enough.

OP specifically asked about WORKING from a boat along the PNW coast. Not sure why emergency use and related comm gear applies to that.
Starlink is the best option for internet. Cell phone tethering for internet is a unreliable option if you need to work any distance from land settlements.

@Terry Cox nailed the details.

So I'm not going to give you a written document, I'm just giving you real world experience.
:beer:

Last edited:

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
The "cheap" antenna is used OUTSIDE 24/7, rain, shine or snow, on RVs, home and some boats, worldwide. Seems to work fine outside getting wet, otherwise there would be 2 million complaints and a recall.

The actual box portion is obviously installed out of the weather.

The new 2.0 version is less complex, and lacks the motor drive for alignment. I would think that would be more reliable, but we own the previous version, so can't say how well version 2.0 is built. But it also is designed to be outside in all normal weather, 24/7

I wouldn't rely on it for offshore emergencies. Hard for a small dish to get a good lock on a small boat when underway. At anchor ? Good enough.

OP specifically asked about WORKING from a boat along the PNW coast. Not sure why emergency use and related comm gear applies to that.
Starlink is the best option for internet. Cell phone tethering for internet is a unreliable option if you need to work any distance from land settlements.

@Terry Cox nailed the details.

:beer:
The phone tethering worked well enough for me to stay in touch with family and friends, but definitely it would not be sufficient for business. I did get dropped calls, I just called back. Also voice came in and out at times, like louder and softer, but for communication, it worked everywhere I went in the Atlantic. There were some remote areas where it took a long time, like up to two hours, to connect. But it always connected. I would run with it off and then turn on at certain times of the day. It's a game changer in my opinion.

If you need high speed access everywhere all the time, the bigger antenna might be needed. No direct experience.

dj

• Helpful

LloydB

Jan 15, 2006
Macgregor 22 Silverton
Popular Science said that you could use a laser and bounce those signals off of Echo 2 and was included with purchase of every flying car.

Feb 12, 2024
grampian 34 santa xruz
Thanks for the real world experience. I’m thinking of getting just the RV ROAM set up, and see if they honor their ad “anywhere in the United States“ out to at least the 12 miles of shore zone.
But, really, I’d be perfectly happy if it works within sight of Land. I will not be happy if it requires me to be 3 miles away from shore ON THE LAND SIDE! ;-p

I, like OP, would like this thing so I could have reliable Internet when at anchor or in port: to download software updates, new maps, new weather/forecasts, keep up with friends and family via FaceTime like interactions, hoe through email, etc…. But I absolutely do not want to have a 50GB limit! It would be a langniappe if I could have 50GB while seriously offshore, but I would rather the system just not give me any data out there, and give me unlimited data when I’m at anchor.

I have other solutions for *emergency* comms, and would never dream of depending upon STINK for that!

Last edited:

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Thanks for the real world experience. I’m thinking of getting just the RV ROAM set up, and see if they honor their ad “anywhere in the United States“ out to at least the 12 miles of shore zone.
But, really, I’d be perfectly happy if it works within sight of Land. I will not be happy if it requires me to be 3 miles away from shore ON THE LAND SIDE! ;-p

I, like OP, would like this thing so I could have reliable Internet when at anchor or in port: to download software updates, new maps, new weather/forecasts, keep up with friends and family via FaceTime like interactions, hoe through email, etc…. But I absolutely do not want to have a 50GB limit! It would be a langniappe if I could have 50GB while seriously offshore, but I would rather the system just not give me any data out there, and give me unlimited data when I’m at anchor.

I have other solutions for *emergency* comms, and would never dream of depending upon STINK for that!
I think it cuts you off about a mile or two off the coast line. It certainly will not give you 12 miles. That's what friends of mine have said - no direct knowledge.

dj

Feb 12, 2024
grampian 34 santa xruz
As long as it's okay with me being in the water, but within sight of land, I'm fine with it. As I indicated, I have other *emergency* communication options for offshore/while sailing. I just want unlimited Internet when I'm stopped, and not to be cut off because I accidentally went over some arbitrary limit. ;-) It sounds like a boat will be treated as an RV as long as it's "close enough" to shore, but can stay afloat--at least for now. (I read a couple of places that STINK is cracking down on cruisers "abusing" the system "made for automobiles".)

Again, thanks for all the data, y'all! :)

PS: it's nice to be back. For the last couple of days I've been getting this "you are not authorized" message locking me out of Forum altogether.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
I just want unlimited Internet when I'm stopped, and not to be cut off because I accidentally went over some arbitrary limit. ;-)
Can't comment on what's "close enough to shore".

But you seem hung up on "being cut off". If you opt into the option where if you go over the limit you pay for the overage. You simply have to pay $2 per GB over the limit. You don't get cut off.

dj

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY

Starlink geofences the Roam Accounts. The Geofences are hexagon shaped, thus the distance off shore will vary based how the hexagon's fall, thus the conflicting reports of how far offshore you can go before being cut off. There is a Starlink on Boats FB group and also groups on Reddit. Both are good sources within the limits of those platforms.