Intermittent non-starting 1990 Catalina 28.

Jul 1, 2024
Catalina 28 Mk1 Vancouver BC
Hi all, I have odd problem starting my 1990 Catalina 28/Universal Kubota.
New batteries and voltage is good.
Once the ignition key is turned I have 2 buttons, one for the glow plug and the other for the start.
Just occasionally, on pushing "start" I have hear a click and no-start. Your thoughts on where to trouble shoot?

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Sounds like low solenoid voltage. Causes include battery low voltage or high resistance connection. Have you checked either?

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
This comes up regularly on this forum. More typically with Yanmar diesels. But others too. A search of the archives for Yanmar starting problems or intermittent starting problems should bring up multiple threads on the subject.

Jul 1, 2024
This comes up regularly on this forum. More typically with Yanmar diesels. But others too. A search of the archives for Yanmar starting problems or intermittent starting problems should bring up multiple threads on the subject.
On it, thank you!

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
I am not sure how your starter cables are connected to the relay. If you have access to the battery cables, disconnect one and touch to the other cable on the relay temporarily. If the engine turns over then the contacts of the relay are bad and needs to be replaced. You can install a different 12vdc 80AMP relay available from a place that sells trailers or golf carts.

Jul 1, 2024
I am not sure how your starter cables are connected to the relay. If you have access to the battery cables, disconnect one and touch to the other cable on the relay temporarily. If the engine turns over then the contacts of the relay are bad and needs to be replaced. You can install a different 12vdc 80AMP relay available from a place that sells trailers or golf carts.
Thanks (to everyone) this is going to really help me!

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Hi KitGriffin. Welcome to the SBO forum and sailing in the Salish Sea.

Have you ever jumped in a car, stuck the key in the dash, turned it and heard that dreaded CLICK CLICK CLICK?

Same sort of problem you are describing. You say the "New batteries and voltage is good." I'm not sure what that means. What is the voltage? How are you testing? How new? In a car you can have a new battery yet someone left the lights on last night.

On your boat the environment conspires to spoil your day. I would check the ground connections of the system. Corrosion is a sneaky enemy. It can cause that "High resistance" problem @Don S/V ILLusion mentions. Besides the easiest thing to do is make sure you have clean contacts on the starter, solenoid, engine, and batteries.

If after eliminating the connections as the issue then you can start trouble shooting the more challenging options.