Intermittent cold

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tom

We have an older cold machine fitted in the lazarette. It is fan cooled and when it works, it works great. Problem is sometimes it just doesn't work. I have checked the thermostat and it is functioning properly. It seems that it quits after about 12 to 18 hours of operation. The only way to get it going again is to open the breaker for about 15 minutes then close it. It starts working again and all is well. I have checked power, connections, thermostat it all checks! Help!

R

Ron

Could Be

Could be low on refrigerant and freezing up. Do you notice ice on the evaporator (freezer box)has built up during the 18 hours it has been running? When pressure goes down, temperture goes down. If this is the case and you have to have it recharged, consider changing over to one of the new refrigerants like R-409a. It is a drop in replacment and has better cooling properties than the old R-12 which is as high as $60 a pound now. Thats my guess. Ron/KA5HZV

T

Tom

Frosty

This is true. After the units gets going again within 10 minutes there is about 1/4 inch of frost on the evap... Seeing as this unit is pushing 20 years old I guess fitting a new unit is in order? Thanks! Tom

R

Ron

Tom

I would not replace the unit for something as simple as a recharge. You're selling the car because a tire is flat. But whatever you do, good luck... Ron/KA5HZV

K

ken

refrigeration

check for dust build behind the fan the cooling fins could be dirty with dust,hope this can help.

P

Phil Williams

To Work or Not To Work

What is the temperature of the compartment when the compressor shuts down? The indication you have given are leading me to look at the temperature of the compartment being too high for the unit to operate properly. You need to also look at the voltage and amperage draw of the unit when it is getting to the 12 - 18 hour shut down area. Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.