Interlux brushing liquid

Feb 19, 2008
Catalina Capri 18 ann arbor
Hey friends,

I tend to overthink everything. My projects usually turn out pretty good, but honestly - the internal dialogue is paralyzing!

The specs on the 333 brushing liquid say it has a three year shelf life, if stored at stable temperature.

I’ve got an unopened can of it that’s been in my Michigan garage for ten years, temps cycling between 100 an -20 Fahrenheit.

Ive got a new can for thinning the paint, but what CAN use the old stuff for? I‘m assuming it would be good at cleaning the brushes, could I use it to wipe the hull after sanding?

If the fear of using old stuff is introducing impurities, Iwouldnt want to introduce impurities in the wiping the hull, or brush cleaning stage either.

Any advice?

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Not a chemist. One of them likely will offer a professional response.

The temperature changes could trigger the volatiles to release if the can is swollen they may no longer be a part of the chemical stew of solvents. That would reduce the effectiveness of the liquid to release the paint from the brush.

Being an experimental type, I’d mask up (PPE safety first) and try it on a brush. Perhaps, if no specific time line, I’d try a little on a board then paint the board to see if there is a contamination issue with the paint holding. :biggrin:

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I had a can for more than 15 years. It finally went to a hazardous waste disposal site due to an impending move. I would have used it if I had a need. It did not have that range of temperature changes.
Sometimes there is a need for an expiration date and other times the company needs to end their association with the product.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The shelf life postings on most products are CYA statements to protect the company from lawsuits. Whether the brushing liquid is any good or not really depends on what's in it. In a sealed container, the volatile liquids have no were to go, so that is not a big issue.

For something like cleaning brushes and spills I suspect it will be fine. It will probably work for thinning paint, too., however on a really critical or expensive project I might be reluctant to use it. It might also be good for cleaning surfaces before painting.

Before using it on something critical, do a test sample, see how it works.

• Helpful
Feb 19, 2008
Catalina Capri 18 ann arbor
Thanks for the thoughts everyone,

I did use it to wipe the hull post sanding. I’ll use the new stuff to thin the paint.