Interior Wood

Jul 24, 2020
Catalina 22 Kingston
Quick question,

I'm redoing the wood on my Cat 22. Curious if stopping at treating with teak oil is enough for interior wood, or should I varnish?

Jul 24, 2020
Catalina 22 Kingston
I'd be inclined to stick with the oil and keep re-applying it. I love the varnished look but the can of varnish should say "With thee I wed."
I had planned on varnishing all the wood but after getting the exterior for the hatch done, I started to re-think things. Unless there is a compelling reason why I should I think I'll skip varnishing the interior, it is pretty well protected from the elements.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
I actually prefer the shinny look of the varnished interior wood. I have the New design and actually used penetrating epoxy to seal the bulkheads (incase of leak to prevent rot) and then varnished with like 2 or 3 coats. Since its inside it will last forever and require no regular maintenance like outside wood. But plenty use oil as well I just like shiny things!

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
I love the varnished look but the can of varnish should say "With thee I wed."
:plus: on that. Varnished all my exterior bright work some time back. Looked great for a couple of years. Let the sun do its thing over the last couple of years instead of sanding. Going back to teak oil. Even if I have to re-apply every year. Easy-peasy. These old bones of mine need a rest. The interior, however, should be a one and done operation if protected from the elements.

Aug 2, 2009
Catalina 315 Muskegon
I'd oil it. Wouldn't use varnish, but I might use a water based poly product. I would consider painting it gray.

Aug 15, 2022
Catalina 22 14790 Redwood City, CA
I actually sealed and painted my interior bulkheads white. I thought it opened up the cabin visually. Otherwise for some reason I like the dull wood look of the rest and chose not to touch it.
IMG_1232.jpeg

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
Just dropping a note here for those thinking about varnish on exterior wood.

You need a large build up of coats and an annual maintenance to make it look it’s best. In the north we have less UV however my exterior varnish looks great some 8 years and going now. Base coat was 26 coats ( no that’s not a typo, it’s 26 coats) with the wood removed. Annual recoating of another 3 coats in the spring keeps it looking nice With the wood in place. If you gouge or Nick the varnish though you need to rebuild the base. If you live in the south you’ll still need the 20+ base and about 6 coats (3 in spring and fall) to maintain the shine. this comes from working on large yachts where owners wanted gleaming bright work to impress. Proper varnish should look like a glass finish with no noticeable grain being felt in the finish coats.

Most recreational sailors in smaller boats don’t want this level of maintenance and are satisfied with less base coats but also complain of it failing after a year or two.

This is not for the faint of heart but for those who love varnish gleaming in the sun.

Interior wood is only 3 coats over epoxy sealer and has needed No renewal in the past 7 years or so.

Aug 15, 2022
Catalina 22 14790 Redwood City, CA
This is Cetol "marine" (which is a color, not a characteristic).

View attachment 221192
If I hadn't failed wood shop I would attempt to make a nice wood cover for my stove like that. The additional counter space is much needed. I tried finding a cabinet that would work above the sink after seeing yours but haven't been successful. No way could I make something nice like that from scratch lol. Marry me

• Ha