Interior wood refinishing

Sep 29, 2016
Lord Nelson Lord Nelson 35 3 Full time cruiser
When we bought our boat the finish of the interior teak wasn't great. 30+ years of previous owners hanging various things had left numerous holes throughout. We first removed all cabinet doors, pocket (sliding) doors and the hanging locker door.

0708171323.jpg

Any nail/screw holes or imperfections were filled with famwood wood filler then everything was sanded with a random orbit sander (where able) or by hand with 80 grit paper followed by 120 and then 220 grit paper. After vacuuming several times and then wiping down with acetone we began applying Watco teak oil (available at most hardware stores or even Walmart). The photo below shows the progression from the original stain then sanded bare to only one coat of teak oil.
IMG957157.jpg

Here is a closeup after applying 5 coats of the Watco teak oil.

IMG957237.jpg

The teak oil was applied with a chipping brush waiting 30 minutes between coats and instead of wiping after every coat wiping wasn't done until after the 5th coat. We are very happy with the results.

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
Looks great, what a difference. I use Watco's as well: easy to apply and touch up.

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
Well, I'm confused.
You show three pics above the finished bulkhead pic.
The left one with the patches is marked "Stain".

Oct 31, 2012
Hunter 2008 H25 Lake Wabamun
Oil for interior is good and can be re-applied without too much prep. I just wash it with an oil soap first.

Sep 29, 2016
Lord Nelson Lord Nelson 35 3 Full time cruiser
Well, I'm confused.
You show three pics above the finished bulkhead pic.
The left one with the patches is marked "Stain".
That's the stain that was already there before we sanded it to bare wood. Sorry for the confusion.

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
Got it.
I'm amazed that there was enough veneer to sand off the stain.
But it sure worked out for you.
Congrats.

RitSim

Jan 29, 2018
Beneteau 411 Branford
One great technique for refinishing with Watco is to wet sand with 400 grit and a wood block backing (no free handing here) Wet sanding keeps the paper from clogging and smooths the bumps. After multiple coats the finish is smooth and flat. The sanding "debris" tends to fill in the pores of the wood making it even smoother. I also wet sand between varnish coats using mineral spirits-

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
I think prefer boiled linseed oil cut 50% with mineral spirits. Same application as teak oil but without the darker pigment.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I think prefer boiled linseed oil cut 50% with mineral spirits. Same application as teak oil but without the darker pigment.
Too strong of a smell for me especially on interior spaces.

dj