Interior wood lacquer finish repair

kbgunn

Sep 19, 2017
2005 Hunter 33 Lake Lewisville, TX
I have a 2005 Hunter 33. The brochure calls the interior wood finish a gloss "Cherry" woodwork. But it is lighter and less red than what I think of as cherry and looks more honey oak to me. The top of the cabinet in the aft stateroom has sun damage to the finish. The finish is flaking or missing in a large area.
IMG_1738.JPG

I found the attached "Teak Care SOP" from 2001 and "Teak Interior Repair Kit" documents on the Marlow Hunter document library.

I'm curious if anyone has repaired a large area similar to this on cabinetry or bulkheads following the SOP and how the results turned out. The Mohawk sanding sealer M102-0413 and satin lacquer M102-0412 are available from several sources online. I want the repair to blend well with the undamaged areas. Happy to hear about alternative finish repairs that closely match the original finish as well.

Thanks in advance.
KBG

Attachments

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
Are you sure the finish is lacquer?
And it looks like cherry or teak.

kbgunn

Sep 19, 2017
2005 Hunter 33 Lake Lewisville, TX
It is the standard teak veneer. A thin veneer, which is a concern I have when attempting the repair. As far as the lacquer finish, I'm going by the SOP from Hunter and the contents of the repair kit provided with the boat when it was newly delivered.

The finish is lighter in color than the usual teak finished with oil or varnish.

This is a picture from the brochure. The bulkhead and the navstation in this picture are identical to my boat. I'm just trying to get the sun damaged area back to a similar color and finish.
Screen Shot 2023-08-10 at 10.52.49 AM.png

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I would suggest contacting the SBO staff on the shop area of this sight. The customer service crew are former Hunter employees. They would know.

Try here.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
That grain does not look like cherry. Sometimes a repair means changing the area so it contrasts or is all the same finish compared to “kind of” blending in. Blending in tends to not meet expectations.