Interior wood (?) and storage cover refinishing

Oct 17, 2013
Catalina 22 Plymouth MA
Hi
Pulled all the interior wood and wood-like pieces that cover the storage areas in my 77 C22. Some of the wood appears to be a teak veneer which I suspect you can clean as normal teak and then paint (plan on using Sikkens Cetol Natural Teak). What about the covers that appear to be masonite or similar substance? How do you clean them? Can they be painted? How about covered with a veneer? Thanks
Mike
Plymouth MA
Still no name for the boat - contest with the grandkids!

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
On our original C-22, the covers for the storage areas, I simply varnished them. I've seen photos where owners painted the white, and that looked pretty nice. Haven't done anything with the covers on our two current C-22's. I've used a satin finish varnish on the interior wood of our MK-II, but on the new design C-22, I'm planning on using Sikkens, just like you are. I've seen a couple racing C-22's where the interior bulkheads we're painted white, and it looked clean, but don't believe I would've done it.

Don

Oct 17, 2013
Catalina 22 Plymouth MA
On our original C-22, the covers for the storage areas, I simply varnished them. I've seen photos where owners painted the white, and that looked pretty nice. Haven't done anything with the covers on our two current C-22's. I've used a satin finish varnish on the interior wood of our MK-II, but on the new design C-22, I'm planning on using Sikkens, just like you are. I've seen a couple racing C-22's where the interior bulkheads we're painted white, and it looked clean, but don't believe I would've done it.

Don
How did you clean the storage covers? Concerned they'll absorb any liquid

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
My storage covers are MDF with standard plywood layers in the middle, a combination that is lighter and flexes less than straight MDF. Its fine just to sand them lightly to clean them. They will absorb moisture if water is on them too long so I painted mine white. I used my Interlux Bilge Coat, but it is essentially an enamel so regular Rustolem gloss enamel is just fine for this application. Do use a primer, the wood will soak up the first couple of coats, a fine foam roller and then brush tipping leaves a smooth finish (or spray them).

The teak veneer on the interior bulkheads is VERY thin. Sand with 220 by HAND, you can go right through it with a power sander (don't ask me how I know this). You don't have to sand it to the point where it looks like perfectly clean wood, you'd be surprised at how nice it comes out when you just clean off the surface generally and use Cetol or varnish. I prefer straight Epiphanes varnish, the color will look the same as Cetol but glossier. It takes several coats of Cetol to get a glossy finish but in general it is a more 'forgiving' product that is easy to use.

Oct 17, 2013
Catalina 22 Plymouth MA
My storage covers are MDF with standard plywood layers in the middle, a combination that is lighter and flexes less than straight MDF. Its fine just to sand them lightly to clean them. They will absorb moisture if water is on them too long so I painted mine white. I used my Interlux Bilge Coat, but it is essentially an enamel so regular Rustolem gloss enamel is just fine for this application. Do use a primer, the wood will soak up the first couple of coats, a fine foam roller and then brush tipping leaves a smooth finish (or spray them).

The teak veneer on the interior bulkheads is VERY thin. Sand with 220 by HAND, you can go right through it with a power sander (don't ask me how I know this). You don't have to sand it to the point where it looks like perfectly clean wood, you'd be surprised at how nice it comes out when you just clean off the surface generally and use Cetol or varnish. I prefer straight Epiphanes varnish, the color will look the same as Cetol but glossier. It takes several coats of Cetol to get a glossy finish but in general it is a more 'forgiving' product that is easy to use.
Thanks!

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
+1 for Cetol on the interior wood, easy and forgiving. I went with Cetol "marine", but that's just a color, not a classification, and strictly personal preference.

We don't keep V berth cushions on board, so I painted the locker covers with an exterior oil based house paint I had in the shed. I was too lazy to prime them. Nevertheless, it came out great with one coat (it was good paint) and is proving to be plenty durable. I was fortunate enough to have a piece of the liner (cut out to mount GPS) to take in for a color match, and they nailed it.

Apr 30, 2022
Catalina 22 Los Angeles
+1 for Cetol on the interior wood, easy and forgiving. I went with Cetol "marine", but that's just a color, not a classification, and strictly personal preference.

We don't keep V berth cushions on board, so I painted the locker covers with an exterior oil based house paint I had in the shed. I was too lazy to prime them. Nevertheless, it came out great with one coat (it was good paint) and is proving to be plenty durable. I was fortunate enough to have a piece of the liner (cut out to mount GPS) to take in for a color match, and they nailed it.

Hey Gene. I'm going to refinish my interior wood with Cetol. Did you apply a coat of gloss at the end? Or is gloss not needed since it's interior...