interior window trim - what can be done

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 23, 2010
catalina 30 Waukegan, IL
I am in the middle rebeding my windows on my Catalina 30 - I've removed the interior aluminum trim rings - that are very beaten up. Catalina Direct does not sell new trim - their idea is to replace the windows completely (about 1G) I hate the idea of trying to hammer them back into shape - this will weaken the metal. The best idea that I can come up with so far is to remake the rings using wood. Does anyone have any other ideas ??

Thanks
Joe
catalina30ft@aol.com

Jan 6, 2010
Hey Joesailer,

What year is your boat? I have a 1980 and HATE my windows. A few reasons are that between the overhead liner & top deck I have a space that makes it hard to tighten the window for sealing. I'm always resealing leaking windows and also they don't open which can make it hot down delow in Florida in the summer.

Wood would look nice but has no structural integrity used in this application. You have 2 choices: one to buy all new windows, or take the frames to a tin knocker to match with aluminum or a stainless.

My boat neighbor had his cabin sides filled in and put in beautiful polished opening ports. But, this can be pricey.

Let me know what you decide........
C'ron

Jan 23, 2010
catalina 30 Waukegan, IL
Window Trim

captnron -
My C30 is an 1980 like yours -
my plan was to fill the area between the liner & deck (side of doghouse ) around the windows with epoxy puddy - to stop that area from being able to be compressed -

The windows then will be bed in 4200 - so my thought is that the ring - should not be structual - so much as holding the window in place for cure time & to trim out the area around the window inside the cabin..

as for the tin knocker - that's more money then the replacement windows through C/D

Jan 6, 2010
Re: Window Trim

Joe,

Your plan for sealing the inner liner and deck was also the route I took. Another problem I have is that over time the rubber seals also shrink. I believe catalina has replacement seals. As soon as my deck painting is done, I will look into that.

If your windows are sealed with 4200, it'll be a bitch if you need to take them apart. Mine are with 5200 so I can't wait to work on them.

Were you gonna cut the wood for the interior trim? They should look good. Just make cardboard templates and you should happy.

I'd like to see the finished product when you’re done pal...
C,ron

Mar 19, 2009
Catalina 30 Apollo Beach Florida
Has anyone used the aftermarket windows advertised on this site. They are the smoked plexy retrofits. I recently purchased them but have not as of yet installed them. Any feed back to this as an alternative

Jan 23, 2010
catalina 30 Waukegan, IL
replacement windows

Jeff-
congrats on your new windows -
why are you replacing your old windows ??
what kind of shape are your old trims in ??

Joe
:)

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 30 Seabrook Texas
I am in the process of rebedding mine also. Considered the new look windows but decided against it because the admiral likes the look of the old windows and the cost of the upgrade is $1K. I bought the rebed kit from Catalina Direct last spring and rebedded three windows and they still leak. In talking with CD, we think that the glass is thinner than the gaskets are made for since Catalina used many suppliers over the years. Will be starting next week when butyl tape I ordered will be here. I plan on applying butyl tape to the outside of the glass prior to inserting into the two piece frame and then using wedges and sealant pn the interior. Then using butyl tape between the frame and the hull. The upgrade windows are supposed to use butyl tape between the window and hull and others have suggested it so why not give it a try. I will update my progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.