Interior Veneer Wood Finish for Beneteau 43, 2008

DPW

Feb 9, 2017
Beneteau 43 Hingham, MA
Ahoy!
We have a 2008 Beneteau 43 its in great condition but I notice that the finish on the below deck veneer is dull in spots. What is the recommended method to bring back the shine to the veneer?

Thanks,
DW

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Depends entirely on the finish and that's all I know about Beneteau's. Someone here will be able to say what the interior finish is for your boat. Then we can proceed with details.

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
Here are a couple of documents that might help. If it does not need refinishing, my wife uses something on it annually to just add some moisture and shine it up, I'll inquire as to what specifically she uses and update. It's called "Revive". It's a professional wood conditioning product, comes out of a company called "Pro Master" out of North Kansas City MO.

Pro Master Revive Wood & Metal Cleaner & Polish - Qt. | Q4 Industries

Attachments

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
I usually apply a light coat of Formby's lemon oil furniture polish annually; however, I can't say that my finish is dull.
Benteteau recommends using a water based compound / polish, Aqua Buff 2000, from Hawkeye Products for polishing out light scratches and dull spots. I have used it and it works well; use sparingly with light circular strokes.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Count me out. I can only deal with teak. Looks like the finish is catalyzed varnish and yet other here speak of oiling the surface which is incompatible with varnished surfaces. Who knows :pray: ?

Benteteau recommends using a water based compound / polish, Aqua Buff 2000, from Hawkeye Products for polishing out light scratches and dull spots
This would be my best guess for catalyzed varnish although you may end up doing the entire bulkhead(s) to get a homogenous finish. Start out working in an inconspicuous area to see how it's going to look.

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
Count me out. I can only deal with teak. Looks like the finish is catalyzed varnish and yet other here speak of oiling the surface which is incompatible with varnished surfaces. Who knows :pray: ?

This would be my best guess for catalyzed varnish although you may end up doing the entire bulkhead(s) to get a homogenous finish. Start out working in an inconspicuous area to see how it's going to look.
I'm confused!

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
The finish is a two part catalyzed polyurethane finish; therefore, the wood is completely sealed like a furniture finish.

I have used Formby's lemon oil furniture polish over the years and have had no damage to the finish, Its more like a furniture polish, not like teak oil. Sometimes use lemon pledge for quick dusting. I used the Aqua Buff 2000 to compound/polish a few light scratches and scuff marks.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
The finish is indeed a catalyzed varnish that is tinted. The surface is akin to a plastic and is notorious for flaking on beneteaus built in the early 2000s. For some reason the finish did not adhere to the wood panels in places. The finish doesn’t accept anything like teak oil, it cannot soak in.

DPW

Feb 9, 2017
Beneteau 43 Hingham, MA
Thanks everyone. I will try the Aqua Buff 2000 and see how that works.