Interior upholstery material on Catalina 25

Oct 1, 2012
Hunter 28.5 dana point
OK so this is a long shot, I am trying to search for the original fabric on a 1985 catalina 25 with the blue and gold stripes. I know that it is probably easier to just pick another fabric and reupholster but only three cushions are bad out of the entire bunch and the rest is like brand new. Catalina direct does not have any and I was wondering if anyone knew of some old new stock at some facilitiy somewhere. thanks.

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
I used to own a C 25, & I have to ask why you would want to match fabric that is 25-30 years old.? Even if you find the exact same fabric it will not match as the new fabric hasn't faded from UV exposure & all the wear & tear from salt exposure. etc.
We recovered our cabin coushions with Sunbrella fabric that is sold in small bolt batches at Wall Mart's fabric isle & was a very good deal. We bought 2 bolts of fabric & recovered ALL of the cushions for under $300. I guarantee that you will be happier with recovering your coushions then trying to match old, tired fabric as new cabin coushions make the cabin look like new.

Attachments

Claygr

Feb 10, 2014
Catalina 387 Milwaukee, WI
Those cushions were most likely made in-house by Catalina in their upholstery shop, which, the last time I checked, was still operating in the Woodland Hills factory. It is one of the few departments that was not consolidated in Florida. Your best chance of finding extra fabric would be there, I would guess, but it would be a long shot. I looked into this for our 1989 Catalina 34 and was told the name of the manufacturer but fabric manufacturers rotate patterns frequently so there was no chance of finding any new fabric. I agree you would be better off re-upholstering the cushions - I understand what you're saying about only a few being bad but the other ones are going to go at some point in the future. New upholstery will really brighten up the boat.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
As it is often noted, any fabric is an extension of the fashion industry, and that business pretty much revolves around out-dating and changing often. Once it's gone, it's GONE.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Here's something I've been thinking about for some time.

Your house doesn't have the same patterns on its furniture in each room, does it? If you change the fabric in one cabin of your boat, there may be no reason to think you have to do it all.

Jut breakin' tradition and tryin' to think outside the box. :)