Interior Teak Finish Help

DYFLWD

Feb 20, 2016
Oday 28 Lake Texoma
Hi all, I am refininshing my settee shelf which I believe to be made of teak. It isnt varnished but seems to be darker than teak as if it was stained from the factory. Here are some pics. How would you recommend finishing? I have sanded with 80 grit and now it looks like raw teak. Should I just apply teak oil or something elese? Thanks for you opinions.
20190727_203015.jpg
20190727_203005.jpg
20190727_203015.jpg
20190727_203005.jpg

Attachments

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
At least get it to 120 grit. I'm a sucker for boiled linseed oil thinned 50% with paint thinner. Like the commercial, "I put that shit on everything". Keeps the wood a little lighter and allows it to age gracefully. 2 to 3 coats, letting then cure between. Dispose of rags appropriately.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
I would sand with random orbital sander to 100 & 200. Hand sand in direction of grain to 220 & 320. Vacuum & tack cloth, followed by sealer & hand wiped stain. Lightly sand with 320, vacuum, & tack. Spray with at least three coats minwax helmsman semi gloss polyurethane. Very fine bronze wool and buff with aqua buff compound and a coat of paste wax. Should get a nice furniture finish.....if that is the look that you’re after.

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
I’ve had good luck with tung oil. But to me it depends on how the rest of your interior teak is done.

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
Looking at your photos, your interior teak probably wasn't stained. After years and multiple coats of teak oil, teak will become dark. If you are refinishing all of the teak in your cabin, I'd recommend lemon oil. It's easy to apply and will prevent the teak from getting dark. If you are trying to match the old finish, teak oil is probably what was on the wood originally.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
I think that would be a bad idea. You should always sand this stuff in the direction of the grain.
That's why I always use lower grit paper on the RAS and finish up with higher grit, hand sanding in direction of grain. I would not have used 80 grit; however, I would have used either 100 or 120 on the RAS, then hand sanded to a finer grade paper. For large projects you really need to efficiently get down to bare wood with a RAS and you should always finish up with hand sanding to higher grit paper. Much quicker and you get a good result.

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
I’ve had good luck with tung oil. But to me it depends on how the rest of your interior teak is done.
That's all I ever use on teak. "Pure" tung oil. Can get it from Rockler.

Aug 28, 2015
Oday 28 St Joseph, MI
Daly’s Seafin Teak Oil. About $20 for a quart which will go a long way. The teak inside your boat doesn’t face the same environmental challenges as that on the outside but it will eventually evaporate. I wipe on a thin layer about every 3 years on my O’Day 28 and it looks good. The teak oil manufacturers want you to buy their product and if lemon oil or linseed oil worked better than their formula they would bottle it and call it teak oil. Teak oils all contain a little varnish and if you put on enough coats of Daly’s you’ll get a shiny finish. If you want the wood to retain that freshly sanded look put on several coats of polyurethane but that’ll be opening up another hornets nest. Careful sanding that plywood, the veneer layer is super thin. Just my opinion.