Insurance question

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
We're not quite that smart.
:huh: Please define “We’re” there Mainlander.
Each time we (as defined by MBM customers) renew our moorage we have to show a Certificate of Insurance for no less than $1M liability. One year the staff, who also happens to be the owner’s wife, took offence to me asking for the marina to reciprocate and show me their proof of insurance. What’s good for the goose is good for the gander, right? In an email her husband, the owner, did apologized shortly thereafter for her sudden and intense anger that she bestowed on me.
Rarely am I asked for proof of insurance for transient moorage; although, bless their hearts, Port Townsend Boat Haven and Nanaimo Yatch Club do.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
We're not quite that smart. Our marina only asks you to check a box to confirm your have insurance. The marina manager told me he felt it would be offensive to the boatowners if the marina asked for "proof" of insurance. You "know" that many of the floating garbage scows in the marina do not have insurance. The insurance premium far exceeds far exceeds the cost of the boat.
I now have to have my marina listed as an “additional insured” on my boat policy.

Greg

Aug 19, 2021
Hunter 280 White House Cove Marina
I am beginning to think it is an issue the availability of insurance with an international rider. This is also an issue with health insurance. A good heath insurance policy covers main land USA, it might cover USA territories but could luck with that in Trinidad and Tobago

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
We met a local physician in St Lucia. Her practice is both public health and private. I asked her what was the basic Healy visit in her private practice. She said the average visit was 150 EC$. I thought not in common for many parts of the US then I did the monetary conversion $55 USD. One could almost afford to pay cash.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
As a sailboat dealer I had every marina and yard names on an insurance rider which is required for a million.

there was one marina whose owner was jailed with his sister taking over. She was very difficult dealing with vendors. The marina was on an Army Corps of Engineers Lake plus she hated the military. She even refused accepting proof of Insurance saying all carriers were crooked. Let's just say she was removed by the Corps. I knew the Commanding Officer. I served in the Navy as well

• Ha
Nov 28, 2016
Hunter 36 Northeast, MD
any marina or yard that doesn't insist on being an "additional named insured" and boats having $500K of liability and owners proving it with paperwork is just asking for eventual issues from either storms, stupidity, or chance. Same wager people make owning a home on a barrier island on the East Coast.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
There is at least one YC up on Vancouver Island that has been demanding documented proof of $1M liability for at least five years, and more recently raised this to $2M .
Since most places we visit when cruising (commercial or club reciprocal) just ask if we are insured (and we are, indeed) or don't ask at all, we figure that the one $$$$ yacht club just wants to limit their guest dock privilege to big yachts with large crews that buy more food and booze in their restaurant. Nice place, in general, but they choose their clientele, and we make our choices.
There are a Lot of other clubs with reasonable reciprocal policies... :)

FWIW, our boat is insured for an agreed value of 150K, after a full refit in 2021. Our YC does require proof of insurance and the club must appear as an 'additional insured', which only guarantees that the Club will receive a formal notice if the insurance is cancelled or lapses for any reason.