Insulating our Hunter Fridge

Jul 26, 2017
Hunter 2000 Hunter 460 North Beach
We would like to replace the insulation around our Hunter 460 fridge. We'd like to hear from anyone that has done this, what it entails, how to access the space, best type of insulation, etc.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
I looked at my Hunter 46 refrigerator last weekend and could not imagine how you could replace/add insulation around the refrigerator since there is no gap between the refrigerator and cabinets. Will be interested in how (and with photos) you accomplish this.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
We would like to replace the insulation around our Hunter 460 fridge
Some science about insulation might help you re-think this move.

1) The only thing that really insulates is Stagnant AIR.
2) Foam type insulation holds Stagnant AIR by bubbles inside the foam.
3) Foam or Fiberglass mats reduce fresh air movement

Stagnant = no fresh air movement.

Little way to get air movement, like tight fits to cabinets, no holes inside your refrigerator, then you are at maximum insulation now.
____
I have caulked the refrigerant lines entering mine.
The only "hole" is the condensation drain from outside humidity by frequent refrig door openings.
I minimize back flow from that drain with a wet face cloth over that drain.

Condensate still drips through the cloth.;)

Jim...

Jul 26, 2017
Hunter 2000 Hunter 460 North Beach
I looked at my Hunter 46 refrigerator last weekend and could not imagine how you could replace/add insulation around the refrigerator since there is no gap between the refrigerator and cabinets. Will be interested in how (and with photos) you accomplish this.
We have a friend that cut out a panel in the settee to access the space and replaced the insulation but it was not a hunter.

senang

Oct 21, 2009
hunter 38 Monaco
If you want to improve the functioning of your fridge the other way to do this is by improving the air flow over the back end. Hunter installed fridges are notorious for lack of airflow. Take out the fridge and cut a Large hole in the bottom, so fresh air from the bilge can come upwards. Next find a place to cut a hole for the rising hot air to get out. I cut a hole in the side panel that is clearly visible and covered it with a computer fan plate. I also removed the computer fan of the Danfoss compressor and installed it in the new side panel hole. Leave it connected to the Danfoss so it only switches on when the compressor is running. You will get a Huge improvement and compressor run time will decrease a lot = Ah saved!

Jan 5, 2018
Hunter H34 0828 New Orleans
If you want to improve the functioning of your fridge the other way to do this is by improving the air flow over the back end. Hunter installed fridges are notorious for lack of airflow. Take out the fridge and cut a Large hole in the bottom, so fresh air from the bilge can come upwards.
The colder air in the fridge wants to escape through the bottom. You don’t want that. You stop that by ensuring the lid is sealed and the bottom drain has a cloth or thick sponge over it to inhibit the cold air from escaping and yet allowing the condensation to drain. My $0.02

senang

Oct 21, 2009
hunter 38 Monaco
Sorry, you are talking about a fridge with a horizontal cover, I am talking fridge with a vertical door like a regular house fridge. That is the one installed on our boat, one fridge and one freezer.