Insulating 29.5 Icebox

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Andrew Wilkins

I have just installed an Adler/Barbour ColdMachine in my 1995 Hunter 29.5, and on inspection found the icebox has only about 2 inches of insulation around it. Without having to dismantle the galley area, has anyone been able to use the expanding foam insulation in the spaces between the icebox insulation and the hull, under the sink locker, and both ends. I am thinking of drilling holes in the wells at the back of the icebox and filling with foam insulation, then the sides and front. Filling the areas from the bottom of the icebox exterior to the top. The holes will be plugged with gelcoat/epoxy and teak plugs to complete the installation. Anyway, if someone has attempted this or has a more successful method, I would be please to try it.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
I thought that too...

Andrew: I *thought* the same thing. We have a '85 H'31. I cut an observation hole under the sink cabinet only to find the entire lower portion of the area under the icebox full of foam. I covered the hole with a beckson cover so I can get in there if I need to in the future. How did you determine that the area is NOT full of foam?

G

Gary

Could be but so what

I have no idea how much insulation is around the ice box on my 29.5 but I can tell you it keeps ice for a long time. None of the coolers I carry to the boat are even close to 2" thick. The "R" factor of the insulation is far more important than the amount. Or at least as important.

Status
Not open for further replies.