Instrument panel

Dec 25, 2018
Catalina 30 Wishington NC
How do you get asses/open the instrument panel that houses the tachometer, hour meter, and starter switch. It is located at the stern/ starboard side of to the93 Beneteau 35s5. I need to check for corrosion, and secure connection, need to install a new starter switch. For the life of me, I cannot figure out how to open this panel.
Thanks for any help

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Do you have a picture of the area?

It might only be possible, or be easiest, to access everything from behind the panel if there’s a lazarette or some other accessible area there.

Dec 25, 2018
Do you have a picture of the area?

It might only be possible, or be easiest, to access everything from behind the panel if there’s a lazarette or some other accessible area there.
Not a complete picture. But now that I think about it, the white part of this panel a molded in the boat but the black panel looks like you would remove the four screws and put it forward. The meters that are in the white part of the panel could then be accessed from the opening left by the black panel. Sometimes you look hard and just not see. But I just started working on this boat and quite nervous when I start pulling things off.
As far as getting inside the Lazarte, maybe if I was a child.

Attachments

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
How do you get asses/open…
…Thanks for any help
My first thought was that you called us all asses! :poop: And I thought that was a strange way to ask for help :(

But I re-read it…I think ”access” is the word you wanted…

Yes, you can probably remove the screws holding the black panel in place, and you may need to work to “gently” pry the black panel out…as it undoubtedly has some sealant holding it in place. And the panel is probably brittle and will crack easily.

Or, as you said, you may be able to reach the back of the instruments through the lazzarette.

Greg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
The black panel is likely held in place by the 4 corner screws. The appear to be stainless screws. Builders choose between two options. A machine screw with a nut or a metal screw into the fiberglass. If the screws don’t come loose then they likely have a washer and a nut holding them in place. This will require holding the nut behind the panel to get it free.

The Hobbes like engine clock most likely uses a clamp like fitting. You can release from the back and it will pop out the front. It may look something like this.

1707484729143.png

Nov 21, 2007
Beneteau Oceanis 34 Kingston, WA
With limited experience, a 1990 Beneteau and one newer, I‘ll speculate that you will find that sheet metal screws were used to attach the instrument panel to fiberglass with some silicone sealant to seal the panel. If you want access without removing the panel, it’s probably possible by reaching into the lazarte.

You might want to edit the title of your post (if possible) to add the “35s5”, or search the forums for the model. I know that there has been at least one that‘s been through a major refit with a lot of pictures, but I don’t want to share someone else’s work without permission.

Dec 25, 2018
Thank you all! All the information was very helpful! I’ll try to watch my spelling a little closer next time .
I will let you know how it turns out.