Instructions- Rebuild Merc 3.3 HP Carb

Jul 29, 2006
-Catalina -2000 36' Pepin, WI
I bought original equipment carburetor re build parts for my 3.3 hp Mercury outboard. Looking for instructions. Looking for instructions. . . .

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Check out " You Tube" as they have some specific How To videos. These carbs are quite simple and if you have a basic knowledge of how they operate and are a little mechanically inclined you wont have much problems. I would say first take notice if how the throttle linkage is installed and go ahead and release it; sometimes you have to loosen the carb from the base in order to release linkage. Remove the carb and drain any fuel. Flip upside down and remove the fuel bowl at the bottom of the carb, remove the float (round and plastic) There is a metal clip the actuates the needle float valve and is like a hinge held by a sliding pin. Remove the pin, the metal clip and the float valve. (the way it works is that when the carburetor is upright the bowl fills with fuel and as it fills it pushes the float up which pushes the metal clip and in turn the needle valve to stop flow. It is the metal clip which sets the proper adjustment for the float level so treat with care and do not bend) Next remove the main jet and the mixture screw. If you are planning on reusing the gaskets be careful when removing the carburetor and the fuel bowl. Place the carburetor body and all the little parts into a carb cleaning solution and let soak overnight. Next day you can use compressed air to dry and blow away any debris from the components. Blow air through the carb body orifices and passages. I have used cotton Q-tips and sewing needles to clean components and clean the orifice of jets. Reassemble in reverse order and install the carburetor back making sure the bowl and carburetor base are air tight. Turn the mixture screw to close lightly and then back off 2 1/2 turns. That setting should get the engine running and then you may fine tune the mixture and the idle. Some carbs have preset mixture and the screw will be disabled or missing. I found this part diagram for the 3.3HP

Attachments

Dec 3, 2013
HUNTER 29.5 PORT CHARLOTTE FL
Before disassembly, take pictures with your phone, of the linkage, hose locations and screw and bolt positions for reference during reassembly. I take a pic of every step in the process so I can put everything back together. I use an ultrasonic vibration cleaner to clean small parts such as carbs, screws, etc. A lot easier than cleaning by hand.

Just as Benny said... use the internet and enjoy your project.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Carb

Do as Benny has suggested and don't have to be a expert just remember
how every thing goes.
Be careful with the jets and use small needle to clean and most times it is the jets with gunk on them that give the problem and soak good cleaner.
I have been taking my 8hp Yanma apart for many years and after bringing to good repair guy and not always doing the best job decided to try myself and guess
what been running great and one point even was going to replace but since cleaning myself it runs great and I add seafoam to gas all the time and runs great.
Nick

Jul 29, 2006
-Catalina -2000 36' Pepin, WI
Thanks for your great input. Will let you know how it turns out.
Unfortunately the ice is starting to thicken, so it will be 5 plus months before real time testing results are known.
Peter

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
When my sons and I were actively racing motorcycles we used to bring the bikes inside to work on. Needless to say, that didn't impress the Commodore much! (my boats not big enough for an Admiral)
Don't need to add to your advice as the guys did fine.
Chief