Installing refrigeration

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Ben

Am interested in installing refrigeration on my 1983 Hunter 34. What unit would you recommend? And where would you locate the unit? It has been suggested that I should add more insulation? Do you agree and how would you add it? I primarily do day sailing and would run the unit on shore power. Might be interested in running the unit overnight from an anchorage.

J

John K Kudera

Refrig

Hi Ben, I installed the Adler/Barbor unit 6 years ago, we use it as you will be doing. The unit we have has the horizonal freezer compartment that makes ice cubes like the old home units, (before icecube makers) I added a plexi shelf in the box, just like the one that is there. this reduces the box size and keeps small amounts of beer, soda and food nicely. When we do a long trip for a week or two, we get block ice and put that on the bottom of the box along with a bag of cubes. That will last quite a few days especially if you run the frig when you run the engine. You can shut it off overnight without spoilage or major ice loss too. A small cooler for drinks is also advisable, to keep the times the lid is opened to a minimum.. After deciding where in the unit to place the freezer box, I routed the lines out the back to the lazerette, across the stern to the port side under the helm seat. Seems to work well there.

D

Dick Hall

heat loss

It makes sense to put the compressor and condenser to port, as the expansion plate must be to starboard, and you don't want to agravate the list. Remember that the condenser is simply a means of getting rid of the heat in the gaseous refrigerant. Wherever you install it, provide for adequate air supply and exhaust. If you simply close it up, it will be much less efficient, or effective and won't last.

B

Barry

Install 110V Refrigeration in your icebox - $50

In 1995 I removed the working parts from a dorm fridge I got from a college kid leaving town for $40. Cut a hole in the starboard side of the icebox and slid the evaporator and thermostat in and patched up the hole. The following day I had frozen beer. Seems the icebox is much better insulated than the original fridge. Turned the thermostat down from #10 to #2. Drinkin cold beer for the last six years. Installed a 1000w inverter so it works off the dock. I doubt it has great efficiency but it's about a thousand dollars cleaper than a marine unit. Just doesn't get any better for live aboard. Along with my food, I can keep about 170 beers cold! (add to the h34 starboard list) Barry

T

tom

compressor unit

I just installed an A-B unit last weekend. I placed the compressor/condensor under the sink. The tubing was more than long enough to run behind the stove and under the sink. The only problem i had was a voltage drop from the negative wire. I temporarly fixed by grounding to the engine. I also ran the positive to the battery switch. Next weekend i will be running the wires to the breaker panel with a dedicated breaker. I was able to install the unit and have it running with in 3 hours. I did place a 16 pound bag of ice to pre cool the ice box after i started the unit. The unit made ice cubes in the freezer unit over night.

Status
Not open for further replies.