Installing DC Block for Radio Frequency Ground On Board a Sailing Vessel

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
One of the things I like to do is scourer the internet for information. A lot of times I cannot find the information or it is what I consider incomplete. ICOM Marine had a document about their auto tuner on boats and discussed DC blocks, but really gave no information on what to use. Drove me batty to say the least.

Recently I was reading up on grounding radios on a boat. The old adage of using 100sqft of copper seems to be old school now. Many are going with artificial ground like the KISS-SSB or connecting to a thru-hull for seawater ground. On the seawater side there were also mentions of stray DC currents mixing with AC current that could cause galvanic corrosion. This would not do in a sea going vessel.

So I found some info and decided to put what I find in one document. That was easy enough and now I have what I want. But this was for me, not anyone else. However, it would not be fair to NOT share the info. Presented to you is a PDF file with the thread title. It is just one page and very simple. But still good info to have.

Here is a link to the webpage that also has the link to the PDF file. You are free to download and put it away or print it out and use it as birdcage flooring.

https://briandphoto.net/Ground.html