Installing cables in your mast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Josh

I just thought I'd bring something to the attention of everyone. I read a lot on here about people wanting to take the base of the mast off to run cables up it. Be it coax, or power for your mast lights you really don't need to go to the hassle of removing the base. There's a tool called a fish tape that makes the job simiple. Some of you aren't aware of this tool, and others probably just never thought of it. It can be had at any building supply store, Home Depot or the like. I use one daily at work, so when I had to fish my mast it was the only choice. They come in two types, fiberglass and spring steel. They are stiff but flexible enough to allow you to make whatever bends you would need to. You push one down your mast from the hole that you will be pulling to. With a rigged up hook of some kind, you fish the head out of the hole you will be pulling from. Then, attach your coax, power, whatever cable onto the end, and pull it through. It helps to have a second set of hands to feed the cable into the mast as you pull, but it can be done without. The cable just has a tendency to hang up on the aluminum mast if the hole is small. It's a lot of running back and forth if your by yourself and the hole is small. It took me about fifteen minutes to pull in a set of wires for an anchor light, a masthead light, and my antenna coax. Good luck! Josh

Status
Not open for further replies.