Installing bow roller: foredeck coring?

Sep 5, 2018
C&C 29 Mk ii Port Hadlock
I'm shaping a piece of teak to mount a factory bow roller to the foredeck and bow fitting of my C&C 29 Mk ii.

My question (to which I'll find the answer eventually) is this: Is the section of foredeck *between* the deck fitting for the forestay and the cast aluminum bow fitting cored?

I'm assuming yes, but if the answer is no I'll be happy...

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Dinghy Sailor... It has been over a year since David was last on the forum.

I would anticipate that the deck is cored. Most are. It saves weight on the top of the boat. How it is cored is a different matter. Your 1985 boat is of an age that it might be plywood or it might be balsa.

Either way I would approach the problem of drilling hole and limiting water intrusion in the same manner. After drilling a hole if it is a large one I would remove the wood near the hole edge and replace it to about a 1/4in back with thickened epoxy. The goal here is to seal off the core from moisture exposure.

I would use the same approach with thru bolts in the area. Drill the hole, remove an 1/8 inch of the core material. Tape the bottom of the hole from inside the boat. Fill in the hole and the area between deck and the lower fiberglass skin with thickened epoxy. Then when cured drill the hole for the bolt.

Use Bed-It Butyl Tape to bed any hardware and through bolts.

May 16, 2015
C&C 37 28127 Port Madison, Washington
Thank you js. David contacted me with some helpful pics. Your installation process is a sound approach. I now have a Mantus 35 to fit temporarily until I can get to this project in the spring. I’ll likely have followup questions then;)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Follow up questions are great.
Good luck.
By the way. I have a Mantus. Works great.