Installing A Fuel Tank Inspection Port

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
Having completed the installation of my 8" Seabuilt inspection port a few weeks ago I wrote it up and it has now been posted at:

http://hunter.sailboatowners.com/in...mid=267&cat_id=31&aid=8144&page=article&mn=34

Or it is at Boat Owner>>Hunter Owner Modifications>>34

In this case its another Hunter 34 but applicable to any other fuel tanks of similar size and material. Dan Johnson has also posted pictures of the same installation on his H34. I figured a few details would be useful.

Other than being subjected to the discomfort of that narrow locker, the installation went smoothly. It helped to have the proper tools and a nearly empty fuel tank. Those absorbent pads were also very useful as they soaked up the sludge nicely and I had no spills to deal with. We are lucky to have proper disposal cans here in the marina for the pads. I was able to re-filter my old fuel until it looked clear and with the addition of biocide, return it to the tank. I'll burn off as much as I can before refilling with fresh.

Hope this helps.

Allan

May 16, 2007
Boatless ! 26 Ottawa, Ontario
thanks for posting Allan, very well done ! did you use any kind of gasket sealant on the inspection port ring ?

Bob

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
Bob,

The instructions did not call for any sealant. There is a flexible Buna gasket on both sides of the tank that appears to be a very tight sandwich with the nuts torqued down. Although I haven't filled the tank completely yet, its not supposed to leak. That way it can be easily opened again for future access. Maybe some other folks with more time on their installation can chime in.

Allan

Last edited:
May 16, 2007
Boatless ! 26 Ottawa, Ontario
Allan, thanks for posting all the details and pictures, a great mod I would like to do as well, Bob

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Good post, Allan.. I haven't done that to mine yet.. but I am thinking seriously..

Sep 4, 2007
Hunter 33.5 Elbow, Saskatchwen, Can.
Thanks Allan
Great job and now that I see how to it will get added to the ever increasing list.

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
Variation on the same theme

Indeed great job Allan. I used the SS model and had it machined in the center to install the sender for a WEMA fuel gauge.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.