Installation & Orientation of Flooded Batteries

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
That's why I'm waiting for you to work out the kinks on a LiON battery system! Then I can hire your design/build services, and you can live aboard while you do your work!

Not looking for the "Dreamliner" pyrotechnic option :D
You mean LiCoO2 vs. LiFePo4..... LiCoO2 = 30% more energy density but 100% more smoke......;):D

BTW I thought you had GEL's...?:confused:

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
You mean LiCoO2 vs. LiFePo4..... LiCoO2 = 30% more energy density but 100% more smoke......;):D

BTW I thought you had GEL's...?:confused:
No, I'm squeezing my 2 flooded lead-acid 4D's as far down the road as I can, waiting for The Next Big Thing in battery tech. I wish you would hurry up with the fix, my Hawai'ian shirt collection is being destroyed by battery acid!

May 23, 2007
Catalina Capri 22 Albany, Oregon
Maine Sail, I'm confused. I understand the logic behind mounting the batteries transverse so the plates stay covered, but I don't understand why +/- starboard/port orientation matters. What am I missing?

I'm perfectly willing to turn my (sealed) G31 battery 180 degrees, I'd just like to understand why I'm doing it. :D

May 27, 2012
Oday 222 Beaver Lake, Arkansas
Maine Sail, I'm confused. I understand the logic behind mounting the batteries transverse so the plates stay covered, but I don't understand why +/- starboard/port orientation matters. What am I missing?

I'm perfectly willing to turn my (sealed) G31 battery 180 degrees, I'd just like to understand why I'm doing it. :D

Studying the pictures MS posted, youll note that as you look down at the battery, the individual cells are generally rectangular shaped. Keeping the cells oriented so their longest sides are longitudinal with the boats center line axis will prevent most of the problems being discussed.

Note, were not talking about the entire battery, but the individual cells that make up the battery.

Jan 18, 2013
Cape Dory 30 Solomons, MD
Maine Sail... an incredible article! Very informative. Hopefully, you are writing a book. Reading your article I happened to think about battery covers that come with the plastic battery boxes we see and buy everywhere. Do the batteries have to be covered and your thoughts, please? Thanks, Chesapeake Bob

May 23, 2007
Catalina Capri 22 Albany, Oregon
Studying the pictures MS posted, youll note that as you look down at the battery, the individual cells are generally rectangular shaped. Keeping the cells oriented so their longest sides are longitudinal with the boats center line axis will prevent most of the problems being discussed.

Note, were not talking about the entire battery, but the individual cells that make up the battery.
Oh, duh. I read his comment (several times too) to mean that it mattered which battery post was to starboard and which was to port, when you oriented the entire battery port/starboard (which mine is). I just couldn't figure out why it would matter which side of the boat the + post was facing as long as the cells were parallel with the center line axis.

I really shouldn't try to comprehend this kind of stuff after 9 PM. And especially not after a freezing cold weekend spent rerouting and replacing most the wiring between the battery, solar panel and main panel. :D