Inspection Hatch

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tim Op't Holt

The macerator pump on my H31 is located forward under the v-berth. There is a small access door, however this allows not much more than inspection of the holding tank and its plumbing along with the pump. To gain better access, I am proposing to cut a hole under the v-berth pads into this space and install a Bomar hatch. Has anyone done this, and what size fit?

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Bigger door.

Tim: Have you thought about a larger door under the v-berth. You can get a custom one or find one that would fit at West Marine etc. I think that you could probably double the size of the opening with a larger door. I was actually thinking about doing this on my H'31 too. I think that this would be a better solution. My thinking is that this area supports the weight of two people sleeping up there and the weight of the sewage holding tank. Do not think that I would want to weaken the support.

J

Johnnie Poole

Move the pump!

Why try to work on 1 and 1/2 inch hose and pumps through that hatch. It's always going to be a nightmare. My solution was to move the pump to that shelf area on the starboard side of the "footwell" of the V-berth. Nice, easy to inspect area and no worries if I have to change the pump. I also went with the big solids pump for about twice the cost of a macerator and a dead solid, rebuildable pump. The third mod I'd recommend is a y-valve inside that little access door to isolate the overboard discharge and pump from the deck pumpout. eliminates a lot of mess if maintenance is necessary when the tank is full. Come to think of it , that's when you find out that maintenance IS necessary any way! Enjoy the job and use lots of bleach in the tank first, and lots of Joy on those stiff hose fittings! S/V Jazz 1984 H31 #329

Status
Not open for further replies.