Inspecting standing rigging

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Alex

I'd like your advice on what to look for and how to inspect standing rigging. I've heard that standing rigging lasts about 5-10 years and then should be replaced. My C30 is 21 years old and I've had it for 3 years - no idea what the history of the rigging is. Thanks

Oct 25, 2005
Catalina 30 Banderas Bay, Mexico
Stains and cracks

Look for stains and cracks on the rigging studs that go into the turnbuckles. You boat was 18 years old when you bought it. If the rigging had been replaced within a few years before it was sold, it would have been a selling point and probably listed on the specification sheet. That makes the age of the rigging 6-21 years. Could be well past the replacement date, could be just getting there. If the boat still has the original SS closed body turnbuckles that Catalina used to use, you can almost bet the wire is 21 years old. If you have any doubts. Replace the wire.

Ray

Mar 10, 2006
Hunter 26 Kettle Falls Wa.
Find a local knowledgable opinion.

Alex, I think you might be best served by having someone knowledgable on rigging, recomended by a local club or racing group, drop by your boat and have a look at the rigging. It sounds like it hasn't been adjusted or tuned in quite a while. This is a good place to start. Depending on the past useage and the stresses placed on the boat, the rigging could be in serviceable condition or, possibably, worn out. I'd bet the majority of 20 year old boats, lightly used, are still using original standing rigging. After the inspection and tuning you can setup a schedule for any needed replacements at a rate that fits your budget and time. If the boat has been raced or has high ocean crusing milage this inspection is even more needed. Good luck, Ray

P

Peter

Dye Penetrant & Mag. glass

The most likely place for a problem to occur isn't in the wire, but in the connections. I use a magnifying glass to closely inspect all the fittings for cracks. Using dye penetrant is good too, I understand. Paint it on the fitting, then wipe off, and the dye stays in any flaws so they show up better. I bought a dye penetrant kit on eBay for about $40, but haven't used it yet. And if you find a problem with one fitting, also replace its complement on the other side. They both have the same strains on them. And as mentioned, keep the boat well tuned. Good tuning reduces the strains on the rig, because its then well balanced.

K

kris

replace it

If your rigging is over ten years old you should replace it as well as the chain plates.

Status
Not open for further replies.