Information on what I believe is an O'Day 12

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sally

I have searched the web for information on our O'Day sailboat. Although the boat is marked as an ODay 12 it doesn't look like the ones whose pictures are found on this site. It has no jib, only a mainsail that is hoisted by running the mast up a pocket in the luff. The boat's serial number is XDYWO443M77A . We would be most appreciative of any information regarding the boat. Specs, rigging diagrams etc. Thank you. Sally

R

Rodney Johnson

An O'Day 12 it is!

Your description matches the O'Day 12, the 12 was built during the mid-1970s using the hull of the O'Day Widgeon (that's the sloop-rigged 12' O'Day) but with a different deck and rig. The 12 had a Cat-Rig *single sail, a daggerboard instead of the Widgeon's pivoting centerboard, and a deeper rudder. You have Hull# 443, a 1977 model built in August of 1976. I don't have scanned pictures of an O'Day 12, but here are the basic specs: Overall Length: 12' 4" Waterline Length: 11' 6" Beam: 5' Draft: 5" / 3' 6" Sail Area: 75 sqft. Mast Length: 21' 4" Mast Height above waterline: 21' 7" Mast Weight: 19# Boom Length: 8' 8" Boom Weight: 6# Daggerboard Material: Wood Daggerboard Weight: 10# Rudder Type: Fixed (kick-up was optional) Rudder Material: Wood Seating: 4 Sailing Displacement: 543# (w/2 people at 150# each) Minimum Trailering Weight: 243# Safety Features: Self-Rescuing Complete Hull Weight only: 200# (approx.) Hope this helps! You might want to give Rudy Nickerson a call at D&R Marine, he might have an old Sales Brochure on the 12. If not, I have one on the 1978 model. Rudy can be reached at 508-644-3001

R

Rodney Johnson

1978 Brochure Pics

I am adding a link to the O'Day Owners Unofficial Web site, it includes the second page of the 1978 Sales Brochure. I'll still try to scan my copy of that brochure.

S

Sally

Thank you for the information !

Thank you Rodney for the specifics. I have what may sound like a silly question, how do you reef the main on this boat? Sally

R

Rodney Johnson

Not hard to do

Reefing the sail on an O'DAY 12 was possible using a few extra lines. I have to admit that although I am somewhat familiar with the 12, I'm answering based on the pictures that I have and my basic knowledge of how to reef using jiffy-reefing. The 12 had "Jiffy-Reefing" standard, to reef the sail you would first lower the sail enough to bring the grommet for the reef tack (grommet in leading edge of sail, about 24" up from boom) down to the boom and tie to the boom with a short line (maybe tie to normal tack grommet?). Now untie/unhook the outhaul from the normal clew grommet, and attach to the reef clew grommet, you will need to loosen the outhaul to do this, then tighten the outhaul a bit. There should be 2 additional reefpoint grommets located between the tack and clew of the reef, gather up the "extra" sail material and use a short (18" +/-) piece of light line through each reefpoint to hold the sail in place, these should be tied around the gathered sail material but not the boom. It is a lot easier to do than to explain!

R

Rodney Johnson

Page 1 of brochure

Here is the other page of the 1978 brochure, I have attached a scan of the page. The link below is to the 2nd page posted on the Unofficial O'Day Owners web.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.