Information on a Ranger 26-2 or MKII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 23, 2007
- - Flathead Lake, MT
Help! I bought a 1980 Ranger Yacht 26-2 or maybe a MKII this summer to replace my boat that I lost in a freak tornado on the lake. I need help finding info about this boat, I realize that this model was discontinued only after a few years in production. Also, I have found out it was designed by Gary Mull and is a very ahead of it's time boat,....so if any of you could help out with web sites or any published info....I would be truly grateful. Thank You, Kevin

W

Willow

Ranger mk II

I have not heard of a Ranger 26 mk II. However, your picture looks very much like another Gary Mull design which I believe was built in some areas (including Australia?) as the Sonoma 6.7 (not sure about the exact numbers). Check it out, you may find some info. It is certainly possible that Ranger built a few of these but not enough for it to be well known. The Sonoma drawings I believe showed fixed and lifting keels. Another thing about Mull designs of this era (such as the Pocket Rocket and Humboldt 30) is that much of the work on them was done by a designer named Jim Donovan who worked for Mull at the time. Donovan still designs boats under his own name, if you look him up he will likely know something about it. This boat has a bit of the Donovan look to it. Looks quick!

Nov 23, 2007
- - Flathead Lake, MT
Thank you!

Thank you Willow, I will start researching that information tonight after work.....I now have some point in which to begin! I did find another boat on the net that is for sale and have been in touch with the owner. Thanks again, Kevin

Nov 23, 2007
- - Flathead Lake, MT
Thank you!

Mike, Thanks for the offer to talk! I tried to email you but had no success. Would love to pick your brains about your boat and how you have it set up. Please try emailing me at ranger26_2@yahoo.com. Lets see if that works and touch base. Thanks again, Kevin "R" anger Management ranger26_2@yahoo.com

Nov 23, 2007
- - Flathead Lake, MT
Thank you!

Mike, Thanks for the offer to talk! I tried to email you but had no success. Would love to pick your brains about your boat and how you have it set up. Please try emailing me at ranger26_2@yahoo.com. Lets see if that works and touch base. Thanks again, Kevin "R" anger Management ranger26_2@yahoo.com

R

Robert Ward

looking for a Ranger 26-2

I am looking for a Ranger 26-2 preferably with a trailer. Any ideas out there, I used to race a Ranger 22. 218-244-7225

R

Robert Ward

looking for a Ranger 26-2

I am looking for a Ranger 26-2 preferably with a trailer. Any ideas out there, I used to race a Ranger 22. 218-244-7225

Nov 23, 2007
- - Flathead Lake, MT
Ranger 26-2

Robert, There is a Ranger 26-2 listed on boat crazy . com. It is the red one that is pictured in this thread. I would have looked at it but I already bought the one I got. Are you the gentleman that was talking to Jim Lecander from Dayton Yacht here in Montana? Anyway the boat listed looks like a good deal.....lots of good stuff included, and not that far from you. Good hunting! Kevin

Nov 23, 2007
- - Flathead Lake, MT
Ranger 26-2

Robert, There is a Ranger 26-2 listed on boat crazy . com. It is the red one that is pictured in this thread. I would have looked at it but I already bought the one I got. Are you the gentleman that was talking to Jim Lecander from Dayton Yacht here in Montana? Anyway the boat listed looks like a good deal.....lots of good stuff included, and not that far from you. Good hunting! Kevin

R

Robert

Thanks Kevin

Thanks for your help on locating this boat it appears to be a good one. He has done a number of replacements on the boat including a mast and rigging. Is there a site I can go to for boat specs to see if the mast is the correct height? He did state that the shrouds were replaced with bigger ones and the boat was heavily raced. Thanks Rob

R

Robert

Thanks Kevin

Thanks for your help on locating this boat it appears to be a good one. He has done a number of replacements on the boat including a mast and rigging. Is there a site I can go to for boat specs to see if the mast is the correct height? He did state that the shrouds were replaced with bigger ones and the boat was heavily raced. Thanks Rob

Nov 23, 2007
- - Flathead Lake, MT
Info on Ranger 26-2

Robert, I looked up the mast info on Rig Rite's website and found that they had information on the Ranger line, including the 26-2. In their info the mast is a Kenyon Spar #3350 MORC, length 33' 9-1/2". I have recently gotten a hold of a sales brochure that list the mast height from the water line only (37'6"). I guess that one could subtract the free board height and get the mast length from that. Any way, I would hope that the owner did not alter the rigging to much as to occur penalties if racing. Keep in touch and let me know how it goes, Kevin

Nov 23, 2007
- - Flathead Lake, MT
Info on Ranger 26-2

Robert, I looked up the mast info on Rig Rite's website and found that they had information on the Ranger line, including the 26-2. In their info the mast is a Kenyon Spar #3350 MORC, length 33' 9-1/2". I have recently gotten a hold of a sales brochure that list the mast height from the water line only (37'6"). I guess that one could subtract the free board height and get the mast length from that. Any way, I would hope that the owner did not alter the rigging to much as to occur penalties if racing. Keep in touch and let me know how it goes, Kevin

R

Robert

Still boat shopping

Kevin, thanks for all your help here in my search for a Ranger 26 MKII. The owner of the boat we were dicussing dosen't have any newer pic's of this boat but claims it has been raced hard and had a number of things replaced or modified. It may be just fine but it's a little hard to tell at this point, so I am awaiting newer pics. The owner claims the rudder post was modified or extended as the pictures show, is this a common thing? If you get a chance take a look at it on boatcrazy and give me your opinion. If you hear of any others let me know.

K

Kevin

Ranger 26-2

Robert, I saw the rudder modification that you spoke of and I noticed it on another Ranger 26-2 that was listed on sailingtexas.com. The boat listed has the same rudder modification but, it looks like a real professional job. At first I thought it might have been a factory option, but latter found out that it was a modification. My ranger does not have this change and I like it that way. I am in the process of making a new tiller that has a nice curve in it to help with the leg clearance. I have to remove the rudder assembly before I can load it onto the trailer, but it allows the boat to be carried real low on the trailer for shallow boat launches. I would see if you still have to remove the rudder asssembly before you can launch the "Cleo". Take care and let me know if you get any more pictures, Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.