info on catalina 22

Aug 28, 2018
ilur ilur mooloolaba queensland
hi just like to introduce myself on this great site. from Queensland Australia and after a very long time serching have finally got myself a catalina 22 .and just after any infomation on this vessel its build no is CTYH 3268J586 which i belive is a 86 model ? but i have the original build order dated january the 9th 1990 . now i can only assume by the year built and the name on the boat that this was a first gen 2 promotional ? boat show? or advertising boat for 4 years until launched here in Victoria Australia some time after january 1990. dont know weather it was in the USA until 1990 or here in Australia .Thanks for looking and any information will be greatly appreciated .thanks.Gaz

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
The "new design" was introduced in 1986. Fixed or swing keels seem to be the only difference below the waterline... typically boat builders will not change hull/bottom designs over the life of the boat, whereas deck and interior changes, except rigging configuration, can be altered, modernized,etc. allowing the boat to maintain its class status..... That's why, if you race, you would be limited to original designed spars and foils (rudders, keel, etc.) The Catalina 22 is a very, very popular boat. It has definitely stood the test or time. The Cat 22 racing community is huge with fleets world wide. For that reason alone, assuming you might want to eventually race your boat (it will happen, you can't help it :)) I suggest never altering anything design wise on your boat. Keeping it class legal will also make it easier to sell when that time comes. Have fun...
Here's a couple of places to check out: