Info needed on a 2001 Catalina 16 wing keel

May 19, 2019
Catalina Capri 16 Los Angeles
Looking to get back into a trailer sailing.

As far as trailer sailors go, I've owned.... M17, Mariner 19, Rhodes 19, Santana 2023, Catalina 22 wing keel, and a Neptune 16.

Not too much info on this 2001 Cat/Capri 16.
What years were they made?
Were all models wing keel?

Any current/previous owners that can share insight on this boat? Pointing ability, hull speed, cabin interior (sitting headroom), launching with wing keel, etc. Looks like it can be a nice, quick, fun trailer sailor with a cabin to boot!

BTW.....I sail in SoCal and other Southwest areas....Lake Mohave, Lake Havasu, San Diego, Long Beach, LA Harbor

Thanks!

May 19, 2019
Thanks for the reply.....however I am requesting info on Catalina/Capri 16, not the 16.5. I searched that database and the 16 is not listed

May 19, 2019
No; It's a Catalina 16 with fixed wing keel. I have found a few Catalina 16 posts for boats from the 1990's but nothing from 2000+

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
My .02.. I think this is the boat you are asking about? I had one a bunch of years back. Cant weigh in on the racing aspect but it was a very pleasant boat to sail. Got a little wet in high winds (which it handled nicely). I sold it after a while because the cabin is just too small. I could sit inside but it was very cramped. I suppose you could sleep in it (if you were a teenager) but I would not want to. I came to the conclusion that the cabin was mostly to store stuff like extra sails and that sort of thing.

If a boat has a useful cabin for overnighting, the setup and hassle of launching something that high on the trailer might be tolerable. Wing keel and trailer tongue extension.. got old for just a day of sailing. The Catalina 18 is a similar boat but has a much better cabin for camping. The 16 is a great sailing boat, poor for camping.

fyi, might try searching under Capri 16

capri16-2.JPG

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Capri was part of Catalina and as a former dealer now retired, I recall it first being Catalina Capri 16 with a small cuddly with a wing keel. First appeared in 1987 I think and can only recall the wing keel. Not sure about if it first came in a fin keel or not nor the number of boats built. Best advice is to call Gerald Douglas who is the chief designer at Catalina factory near St Pete Florida. Ask for Skip first as I am not sure if he is still there or retired as he should know.
E
The 16.5 is only a daysailor with a swing centerboard. I knew that boat all too well as I use to display it in Annapolis. One of my Catalina Capri 16’s was in the movie “What About Bob” filmed at Smith Mountain Lake near Roanoke, Va