Info;Alden Cheoy Lee 32' Motor Sailer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 6, 2006
Lancer 29 Kemah Texas
I've come accrost a 1977 Alden Cheoy Lee 32' Motor Sailor...some refere to this as the Winsome Class.Its got a Pilot house with a Steering Station inside (also a Helm Station in Cockpit for when Sailing) and a very neat interior (if a bit odd) layout. I went up and down the wood mast and all over the wood boom,all appear in good condition.The only real problem I could find is the for deck (teak covered) has a 2' x 2' soft spot. Has anyone made a repair on a fordeck such as this?..does anyone have any info about these boats?..I know they're a bit on the rare side but thinking someone here has had one before. The repair looks to be easily done from the underside of the deck,plenty of room to work ,etc... Opinions guys??

Mar 31, 2007
- - SF Bay
Soft spot may not be a problem

I owned a Cheoy Lee Offshore 27 for 4 years. The foredeck always seemed soft because there was no support under it; just teak on top of glass - so it flexes. The Cheoy Lees that have wood under the teak decking can develop soft spots after the caulking starts leaking. If the boat you saw has wood under the teak decking I would expect a lot more dry rot, given its age. When that happens the caulking is coming out of the grooves, has a lot of cracks in it, and the teak decking looks sprung in places. If the decking is flat and has no missing screws or you can't see the crews because all the bungs are intact, there is not likely any water getting under the decking. So you might just be seeing how the deck flexes. Is there any water damage inside? Look for missing veneer, water stains, etc. Some Cheoy Lees have been very well maintained and are in better condition now than when new.

Dec 6, 2006
Lancer 29 Kemah Texas
Yes to water inside..

The fore-deck is solid until you get up near the Pilothouse..then there is flexing in a 2x2' area on the Port side and in a similiar spot on starboard.Teak Decking looks in decent shape but in cabin alot of water has been passing thru..delamination of wood is common but only in areas near below above mentioned spots on deck.I've not dropped the fabric (vinyl) headliner to look but access from the underside is good so my thinking is to cut deck open from under side,dry it all out and recore.Then go topside and shoot Epoxy into every screw hole..followed by putting the screws back in..then recaulk between then wood.Has anyone done this before and/or can give me a view into any headaches I may accrost I've not considered?? Thanks>>David

Mar 31, 2007
- - SF Bay
That might work

Now you know why they're called Cheoy Leakys. What most do at this stage is rip up the deck and all the dry-rotted plywood underneath, then rebuild it. The teak decking probably can't be salvaged after this so you would wind up with a plastic deck. But it would be waterproof and the damage to the inside would stop. If the PO has let things go this far there may be other deferred maintenance issues. There is a wide range in valuation to these boats, depending on their condition. If you haven't gotten a survey done already, you should before putting any money down. The owner may be willing to compensate you for part of the expense if you decide not to buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.