Inboard recommendations for Contessa 26?

AFC

Feb 14, 2014
Contessa 26 Gulf Breeze
Originally equipped with a Petter 7 hp diesel. Thanks,
Mike

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
Inboard recommendations for Contessa 26

A Yanmar 1GM is a very reliable engine and has about the same horsepower as your existing engine. Depending on the year, hp can range from 6.5 to 10. Parts are readily available too if you purchase a used one.

Dec 1, 1999
Hunter 28.5 Chesapeake Bay
The Yanmar 1GM10 is a good choice as is the Beta 10-12.5hp engines. These are great sailing boats....

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
The Yanmar 1GM10 is a good choice as is the Beta 10-12.5hp engines. These are great sailing boats....
I have a Yanmar 1GM (7 hp) in my Ericson 26-2. It has been reliable so far and runs well. However, I think it has a bit less power than optimum for boats of our displacement. The other issue is that the 1GM is a raw water cooled engine.

Since you are repowering you might want to consider a fresh water cooled engine with a bit more power. The Beta that Warren suggests might be a really good option if the dimensions work out.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
If you are thinking of a new engine, I recommend Yanmar 2YM15. It is freshwater cooled and you can heat water with the exchange. The footprint has exactly the same width as the 1GM but is 2" longer. I made some modifications to the compartment to fit.

I changed out the 1GM for the new engine last year and love it. It's expensive for an old boat and most would say it's not worth it. A Contessa 26 sounds like a boat that is well worth the investment in my eyes. Our Starwind 27 has similar displacement. The upgrade in performance was very satisfying to me. Our boat was under-powered with the 1GM. However, I had a prop that was over-sized for it, I believe, because I didn't change the prop and the performance is now right on target.

My 1GM is in the basement right now, waiting to be re-built. I figure it is worth re-building for somebody else to enjoy ... it was a nice engine for the time I had it.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Before you make a choice, carefully investigate the various engine manufacturers. Beta's are built from Kubota blocks and replacement parts can come from tractor parts suppliers. IIRC, they have glow plugs, which are really helpful in colder climates. Yanmars are agreat engines, although parts have to be procured through Yanmar distrtibutors who are regional. The Yanmar heat exchangers are built differently than the separate Beta exchangers. There is also the option of a rebuilt Universal. I agree fresh water cooled is the only way to go. Do your homework and research. Good luck.