Inboard Motor for Oday 22

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sergio

I may be able to obtain a Honda 12hp all-purpose motor, which will fit just under the cockpit near the companionway. It's OK if you think I'm nuts. (that's my lot in life) This will require a stuffing box, remote access to controls and plenty of mechanical engineering. May I ask for your comments on the pros & cons that come to mind? Thanks, ~Sergio

J

Justin - O'day Owners' Web

Wow

Sergio - I understand the desire for that inboard, but I would probably hold off. That said it sounds like a heck of a fun project to try out. The inboard option would help with reversing and with powering through swells, but the drag from the prop, shaft, strut, etc will degrade your sailing performance. Also, the weight from the ancillary equipment may affect trim and make you raise the water line. I'd do it if you're looking for a project, but I don't think its the most efficient approach. Justin - O'day Owners' Web

D

Don Evans

What The Heck Is it???

Sergio, you got my curiosity. What is this "All Purpose" motor? Please enlighten me. Don

S

Sergio

Inboard motor

Wow what a concept! Was also my reaction when the project first came to mind. But I'm not sold on it yet, I'm still doing the research. The engine is a two cylinder 4 cycle industrial motor by Honda from from Nothern Tool & Hydraulics. Please feel free to jump in with any + or - comments or questions. Thanks. ~Sergio

D

Don Evans

Here's What I'd Watch For

Sergio: Although Honda makes the best gas engines in the world, this is not a marinized engine. Salt water corrosion, will be a consideration. Air cooling will be necessary, so you can't just box it in without adding air blowers. Exhaust fumes! How will you remove these? Vibration! How will you dampen the engine base so that your prop shaft doesn't vibrate? Noise! Although Honda makes very quiet gas engines it may be noisy down below. Justin mentioned weight. Although your placement will allow the weight to be low, thats good, but where will you place the gas tank, or maybe its integral to the engine, which is bad because its deep in the boat and we know all about gas vapour in bilges. You will have to add bilge blowers. What about the shaft engine interface coupling? Will it take a shaft coupling? What about remote controls for this engine? Do you have to go below to start it, and shut it off? The cost of the engine, shaft, cutlass, bearing, stuffing box, prop, remote controls, seperate tank, engine beds, etc. is difficult to justify on a boat only worth 5K (a guess), never mind the tinkering necessary to get it to work. I commend your dream, but the reality of such an undertaking may prove formidable. Don

S

Sergio

Inboard Motor

Thanks guys for the ideas. Don, you brought out a few that are going to be a real problem. I think my research will terminate soon. :) Thanks again, ~Sergio

S

Scott Shaw

Bad idea but?

I truly think thats a bad idea because of all the problems that arise ... however if you got the gumption to do it i would suggest trying below the cockpit floor ... more work but if it would fit it would solve the problem of having it in the cabin. I would just stick to that outboard but hey thats up to you

Status
Not open for further replies.