Inadequate 110v Wiring?

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Craig Cody

I purchased my 1985 36' in March of this year, moving up from a 30'. I live aboard, and as winter approaches, even here in sunny Santa Barbara, I am beginning to think of winter heating. I found that an electric space heater worked well on the 30', and plan to use the same one on my 36'. However, as I look at my 110v wiring, it appears to be 12 gauge multi strand, rather than heavier solid copper. Should I put in a second circuit, with a heavier breaker to handle a heater? I spoke with Dave Graas (very nice guy) on the tech line at Catalina, and he said all of the 36's were wired this way. Any input would be appreciated.

L

LaDonna Bubak - Planet Catalina

How big is the heater?

I have a small ceramic heater in my 25 year old Catalina & never had a problem. Granted I don't live aboard & it isn't usually running 24/7 but I'm guessing that the wiring is WAY worse than your 36! I would imagine the amperage (or is it wattage?) would be a determining factor. The bigger the heater the better wiring you'll need, would be my guess, but i aint no lectrikal genius! LaDonna

M

Mark Melchior

AC Wiring

Hello Craig, I am wiring my Catalina 250 for AC. I'm running 10awg from the 30amp shorepower inlet to the AC breaker panel per manufacturer recommendations on length of run. I'm using 12awg wire for my circuits (again, based on lengh of run). I read that the wire should NOT be solid as found in a home because of its likelihood of breaking in time. Boats move, homes don't. I read that ABYC standards require multi-stranded AC cable. You might want to consult Blue Sea Systems (http://www.bluesea.com/) who manufactures high-quality marine electrical components. C250 "Lorelei" #384

B

Bob Teeter

AC Wiring

We lived aboard our Catalina 42 for 3 winters in Portland, Oregon. Granted our winters are harsher than Santa Barbara. I ended up installing dedicated power via a second shore power cable (30 amp) and a second breaker). Our marina had two 30 amp plugs available for each boat and this made the second circuit possible. Prior to this installation, we would constantly trip a circut if too may things were turned on at the same time. The battery charger, ref., water heater, toaster, microwave, ect. all take power, but when you add the heater, you may have trouble and kick either the breaker in the boat or the shore power breaker. . Instead of a plug-in heater, I installed a wall mounted heater in place of the teak box under the stove. It was the same size hole and it was not in the way. After we moved off the the boat, I replaced the electric heater with a Red Dot heater that uses the engine cooling water to heat the cabin when you are under power. Good luck on living aboard, we found it, for most parts, enjoyable.

M

Mike Silverthorne

Stranded is better

Stranded wire of the same size will carry more amps..the tech reason for this is because electrons flow on the surface or skin of the wire and so if you have more strands you have more surface area.. and if it is tinned even better load carrying ability. Hope this helps you should not worry sounds like you now have the better wiring. Mike WD9EOU C-38 s/v Chute the Breeze Michigan City, IN

Status
Not open for further replies.