In the alternative, good canvas maker

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Craig Coffman

As an alternative to making my own canvas, I've been looking for someplace to send the measurments of my current bimini top to someone resonably priced for a replacement. It seems there has to be a good low priced alternative out there on the internet somewhere. Has anyone had any experience with the bimini tops available thru West Marine? -- Craig Coffman craig@the-stedding.org Winds of Change, H40.5 OKC, OK

D

david lewis

replacement bimini

if you already have a bimini your task is incredibly easy to do yourself. just rip out the seams being careful not to damage the material and use the pieces as templates to cut out new sunbrella. You can get the fabric through sailrite or BOATUS or WEST or any other supplier, and since you already have a pattern and framework you can maybe enlist a friend to sew it for you if your reluctant to try it yourself. I still have trouble sewing a straight seam but if the thread is the color of the fabric and it is functional I am less worried about appearance and more about the cost. My sewing machine for a heavy duty industrial type was 699.00 but I saved that on the first sail! A sailmaker quoted me 1200.00 for a storm jib and sewing machine and kit from sailrite was only about 1050.00 (of course I assume my labor is zero in this case. It's great to be self sufficient and when you do deal with an expert you can communicate in their own language.

B

Brian Pickton of BeneteauOwners.net

Agree with David

Jan.31, 2001 Dear Craig, After all you have already done tackling canvas is not going to be difficult for you. I like David's advice of using the old bimini for a pattern, something She Who Must Be Obeyed and I have done countless times. We don't even have a sailrite type of sewing machine, just an old Singer, but with #18 needles and proper thread we have built covers out of Sunbrella for winches, fenders, outboard, BBQ, propane bottles, as well as sail covers, settee covers, numerous small bags and restitched our 130 genoa and dodger. The Singer will handle up to 6 layers of Sunbrella. We find doing these things for the boat very satisfying. Also, many people of our acquaintance have had good success with and speak highly of Sailrite and its' products. Jump right in , after building an 18 foot runabout you will find canvas work is easy. Fair winds, Brian Pickton of BeneteauOwners.net, Aboard the Legend, Rodney Bay, St. Lucia

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Have you tried local?

Craig: Have you tried anyone locally? If you have the old canvas, they should be able to copy it for much less than from scratch. You may also save some freight charges too!

C

Craig Coffman

no local sailmaker

The only sailmaker here in OKC closed his doors while I was living out of state it seems, hence my question about internet dealers. Regarding the sailrite "kits", can they make up "kits" for non-standard sails... ie, just send them the dimensions? Although it's a bit more than I want to bite off right now, you guys have got me thinking about it. I think I'll start off with something small though :) -- Craig Coffman Winds of Change, H40.5

C

Chris Callaghan

sewing machines

If you plan to sew only sunbrella, any straight stitch machine will do that can handle the thickness, but I caution you, if you want to sew sails, be sure to get a zig-zag machine! Sewing sails with a straight stitch is like putting in the perforated line in a paper, Zig-zag distributes the stress over the fabric. I have owned a sail loft for 20 years, and make all kinds of canvas too. Hurrah for you for wanting to do your own. Using old pieces for templates is good, be sure to allow for age shrinkage.

D

david lewis

No Sailmaker?

My experience with Sailrite is they will make you just about anything if you tell them what you want. I didn't realize you had a 40 footer. Sails for that size are quite large when you have them laid out in your house. I had a tough time with just a storm jib and trysail for my 35. A bimini and dodger should be ok though. I recommend you start with a storm jib because it will hardly ever or never get used so if you mess it up cosmetically who cares, as long as it functions it might save your boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.