In mast furling issues

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Just an update on the mainsail furling problem.
Spoke to the Neil Pryde loft earlier this week. He advised that the sail did not need to be recut (the main is 6 years old with light use). However, he did advise converting to Neil Pryde's reconfigured batten pockets with the thinner vertical battens. They are also doing some maintenance on the leach and replacing the sacrificial UV sun cover on the aft end of the sail. Should get the sail back in time to reinstall next weekend, weather permitting.
The US Spars furler has been rebuilt with new bearings and new furling line. Should be good to go.

PS: One thing that the loft mentioned to me that is quite obvious; however, I have never
noted this myself nor heard from anyone else, pay attention to the leach line. If you
tension it while sailing, be sure to release the leach line prior to furling. With a lot of
tension on the leach, it will tend to bunch up when furling. Just something else that
could cause a problem when unfurling the main.

Oct 5, 2013
Beneteau 343 Portland
Just an update on the mainsail furling problem. Spoke to the Neil Pryde loft earlier this week. He advised that the sail did not need to be recut (the main is 6 years old with light use). However, he did advise converting to Neil Pryde's reconfigured batten pockets with the thinner vertical battens. They are also doing some maintenance on the leach and replacing the sacrificial UV sun cover on the aft end of the sail. Should get the sail back in time to reinstall next weekend, weather permitting. The US Spars furler has been rebuilt with new bearings and new furling line. Should be good to go. PS: One thing that the loft mentioned to me that is quite obvious; however, I have never noted this myself nor heard from anyone else, pay attention to the leach line. If you tension it while sailing, be sure to release the leach line prior to furling. With a lot of tension on the leach, it will tend to bunch up when furling. Just something else that could cause a problem when unfurling the main.
Who is doing this work? Neil Pryde for a local sail loft?

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Dave,
Neil Pryde loft in Houston is doing work. Figured that it was worth $30 to ship to a loft that had first Hand knowledge with the sail & furler. We shall see.

Oct 2, 2010
Beneteau 36 cc Humlebæk
Dave,

I have had problems with unfurling on our Oceanis 36cc.

Setting the top haul as tight as possible solved the problem.

To set it sufficiently tight I tighted it with the winch

Oct 2, 2010
Beneteau 36 cc Humlebæk
No top haul i.e in the top of the mailsail. Make sure it is very very tight and then you will have no problem out furling

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Dave,
Just completed the mainsail repair & furler rebuild.
The main & furler are working great again. Can furl & unfurl main by hand only without
using winch. Haven't tried it underway; however, it worked fine at the dock with a 10 knot headwind.
These were the repairs / mods that were completed.
1. Mainsail batten configuration was changed from "old batten & pocket system"
to the new thin battens and "envelope batten pocket system". Repairs to sail
including sun cover were completed as necessary by Neil Pryde loft.
2. Furling drum was removed and bearings were replaced. Old bearings were
gunked up and some of the ball bearings were missing from PO.
3. Replaced old furling line with new line. Note that I used a 3/8" line and placed
a 1/8" stainless washer between the fulrling drum arched aluminum cover and the
plastic worm screw mount. It allows a bit of extra clearance between the furling line
that is on the worm screw and aluminum cover to eliminate any friction.
4. Cleaned & lubricated head swivel on furler.
5. Retensioned Main halyard.

Note that the mainsail was not recut. The loft said that the sail appeared to be in good condition other than the routine maintenance items that were necessary and converting to the thinner battens & new pocket system.

Jul 8, 2005
Jeanneau 389 Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
Hey BigEasy,

Did you remove the furling drum yourself? I need to do that some day since our boat is 14 years old and have never done that yet.

Dave,
Just completed the mainsail repair & furler rebuild.
The main & furler are working great again. Can furl & unfurl main by hand only without
using winch. Haven't tried it underway; however, it worked fine at the dock with a 10 knot headwind.
These were the repairs / mods that were completed.
1. Mainsail batten configuration was changed from "old batten & pocket system"
to the new thin battens and "envelope batten pocket system". Repairs to sail
including sun cover were completed as necessary by Neil Pryde loft.
2. Furling drum was removed and bearings were replaced. Old bearings were
gunked up and some of the ball bearings were missing from PO.
3. Replaced old furling line with new line. Note that I used a 3/8" line and placed
a 1/8" stainless washer between the fulrling drum arched aluminum cover and the
plastic worm screw mount. It allows a bit of extra clearance between the furling line
that is on the worm screw and aluminum cover to eliminate any friction.
4. Cleaned & lubricated head swivel on furler.
5. Retensioned Main halyard.

Note that the mainsail was not recut. The loft said that the sail appeared to be in good condition other than the routine maintenance items that were necessary and converting to the thinner battens & new pocket system.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
CY
Yes, I did remove the mainsail and furler myself. The mast & furler is manufactured by US Spars. Very simple to remove the mainsail and furler mechanism alone. It was really simple to disassemble the furler and clean / rebuild with new bearings & furling line. The worst part was reinstalling the furler and mainsail---really a two person job.

Jul 8, 2005
Jeanneau 389 Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
Thanks!
A very wise man told me decades ago that "nothing is hard when you know how".
I know there have been a number of threads talking about how to do this and I will find them when it is time.
I seem to recall that one step is drilling out the rivets, but I may just have a frozen brain from our cold winter...

Chris

CY
Yes, I did remove the mainsail and furler myself. The mast & furler is manufactured by US Spars. Very simple to remove the mainsail and furler mechanism alone. It was really simple to disassemble the furler and clean / rebuild with new bearings & furling line. The worst part was reinstalling the furler and mainsail---really a two person job.

May 6, 2013
Beneteau 352 Holland,MI
I furled my 393 (Neil Pride original equip sail) without a jam for 8 years and it was sailed every winter. I used to furl it on most points of sail and it winds up to 25 kts. I guess I got a bit cocky and the sail was bagged out and it jammed. Took me half a day to unfurl it, going up the mast foot by foot. Next season I got new sails and now usually head up to furl the sail.
I certainly wouldn't recommend 25 kts of wind in the sail while furling and if it is a strong wind I always head into the wind. If it is a light breeze I find a little bit of wind in the sail helps keep tension of the sail while it is furling. We haven't had a problem at all with ours and I wouldn't get rid of my furling system. Too convenient.

MED

Jul 9, 2007
Beneteau Oceanis 40 Southport Qld Australia
Hi, I sail a 2011 Beneteau Oceanis 40. The boat came with a Z Diffusion Furling Mast and an Elvstrom Vertical Battened Main Sail. Since day one the sail has always jammed at the battens as they go through the slot. The dealer has made set up adjustment to the sail and rig on several occassions and still the battens jam as they go through the slot and eventually I get a sail jam that can only be released (pulled out of the mast) with plenty of umph on the winch. Its a nightmare. has anybody had any similar experiences and or can offer some suggestions. When I furl I'm into and just off the wind, Boom vang loose, main sheet just off load, etc, etc, Any thoughts would be Much Appreciated. Does any other Beneteau Owners have the same set up that is a furling mainsail with battens or are your mainsails without battens? Michael Australia

CCHer

Jul 7, 2010
Beneteau 37 Cranes Creek, VA
I have a 2012 B37 with the same Z spar furling system. The sails though are made by Neil Pryde with somewhat unique batten pockets, the battens are removed in the middle of the pocket which close with almost no bulge. The battens are perfectly parallel to the mast. I've never had a problem so conceivably could be the sailmaker's problem. I've read that the traditional batten pocket closure at the leach had caused problems which is why Pryde changed the design. Just a thought without seeing what you have.

MED

Jul 9, 2007
Beneteau Oceanis 40 Southport Qld Australia
I have had my share of in mast furler fouling on my 343. I am pretty careful to make sure the boom is is perpendicular to the boom and that I keep tension on the inhaul while pulling the sail out. Still it fouls.

Suggestions other than getting rid of the in mast system?
My experience is basic and simple.
1 I owned a Catalina with Selden furling mast and it had a furling mainsail without battens never had a problem with furling jams. Now I have a Beneteau with a Zspar furling mast and an Elvstrom furling mainsail with vertical battens and it's a nightmare always jams at the battens.
2. The simple get rid of the problem solution is. Use a classic mast and sail with full length battens, lazy jacks and roller cars, sail with batten boxes = No more jamming sails and superior sail shape. Or
3. Use a Selden Furling Mast mainsail without battens.
Can forum readers let us know if the problems being talked about are mainsails with vertical battens or no battens. And what make mast