In hull transducer

Jul 13, 2013
Hunter 31 clearwater
Im trying to replace the old depth finder in my Hunter 31 and am looking for advice as to where to put the in hull transducer. I have tried it in a few places
without glueing it down and get no readings. I think the old in through hull transducer is in the port seating area. I tried it there first, no readings. It works fine when dipped in the water. Where inside the hull will it work and does it have to be epoxied down first for it to work?

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
I would not epoxy it down ever! They are horrible to remove when epoxied down. One of the guys uses a bag of water to set the transducer in to transmit through the hull. I use liquid silicone for testing and if I don't like the spot I remove it and clean off the silicone. Toilet bowl wax seems to be the best method to seal it down for testing. In fact, some of the guys use it for a permanent install. Chief

Jan 14, 2014
Newport Newport 28 Fair Haven, NY
Not familiar with the construction, but is the hull solid glass, or cored? If it's cored, that would explain the lack of signal. If you haven't tried it in the hull through a fluid (the bag of water trick, etc), then it's worth a shot. With mine, as above, I siliconed mine down and let it sit overnight, and then used RV Antifreeze (as suggested in many other threads, since mineral oil apparently isn't highly recommended any more depending on what adhesive is used to mount the ring). Filled it up, dropped the transducer in and tested. I figured worst case, I sponge up the cup of antifreeze, and remove the silicone and scrape clean. In my case though, it worked straight away, so I just left it and routed my cables.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
The issue is that the transducer will not transmit over an air gap. The hull has to be solid and not cored (no air). The h31 has a solid hull so you should be good. Find a place in the inside hull where you can pool some water and set it there for testing. The toilet wax seal is indeed the preferred method.