In Hauler

Feb 18, 2011
Camper-Nicholson 30 1/2 ton Beaver Lake, AR
Hey Don,
Could you please offer some advice about rigging "in haulers" for my Jibe. I currently sail a 7/8 rig 30' boat. I sailed a Lightning years ago that allowed the boat to point a bit higher to the mark. I've been considering adding them this year while doing other upgrades.

Parker

Last edited:

Kestle

Jun 12, 2011
MacGregor 25 San Pedro
If it is for racing, some class rules forbid their use.

Jeff

May 17, 2004
Other Catalina 30 Tucson, AZ
Parker: I've never used one so better advise as to how to rig one will hopefully come from mates like Jackdaw/RichH and some others.

My C30 had outboard tracks, which were fine for points of sail other than closehauled. I did have a cabin top short track but could never figure how to get it to work due to the safety lines. My problem was further complicated by the fact I had a 135 (almost) deck sweeper. To use a inhauler, I think it works better if the clew is above the cabin top but I'm not sure of that fact. How I got around the problem was by using a barberhauler. Most times I sailed singlehanded so using the barberhauler was a problem but when I had some folks on board I'd mess with it. On beer can race boats with outboard tracks I crewed on I used it all the time while sailing closehauled.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
The CN30 is a great old Ron Holland boat.

Inhaulers work best on boats with non-overlapping headsails. They pull the clew of the jib inward, to tighten the sheeting angle, which is optimally at 8 degrees off the centerline. Often,the jib track is set wider than this (for manufacturing reasons), and often racers will want to pull it tighter in optimal conditions for max point. On genoa-driven boats like yours, you will likely have a genoa up in less than 15 knots of breeze. By the time you switch down to a jib, the inhaulers are not needed!

But if you ARE interested, an inhauler setup consists of two low friction rigs on a 'Y' yoke of spectra. Each low friction ring goes around the sheet on its side, and the Y runs through a block/ring near the mast. The deal is controlled by a camcleat or a Spinlock PXR. You can run them separately, but the Y yoke allows one setting for both tacks.

But like I said, when your boat needs a jib, you are much more likely to be easing it than bringing it in tight!