Improving On An Already Great Product

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rob Leimgardt

As a proud owner of a 1999 Oceanis 461, I have had the great fortune and opportunity to have just completed a major refit to the vessel, including repower, all new underwater appendages including rudder and shaft and all associated hardware. I am going to share improvements that I have made to the vessel, to ensure its longevity and many hours of safe comfortable usage, whether offshore or alongside the dock. Going to begin with my new rudder assembly. As you all know or may not know, the rudder and post on this particular vessel are of composite material extending far below the keel, making it of course the lowest point of the vessel. What I did is manufactured a series of crutch style supports in the lazzerette in-between the upper support and lower bearing in order to strengthen the the exit point at the hull. This gives me a greater comfort level. Looking back, I wish I had ordered the new rudder assembly with a stainless post vs. composite but I actually was not aware of the post construction when I ordered the parts...too late now. I can only think this was either done as a weight/performance issue, or maybe there was a concern of the lower bearing area and the composite post was designed as a breaking point. If the latter was true, it proved un-successful in this particular vessels experience anyhow. Much more to come, and please any seaworthy improvements you can share with me would be muchly appreciated.

R

Rob Leimgardt

Battery Compartments

My 1999 Oceanis 461 came equipped with battery compartments in the aft cabins placed below what ould be the head of both bunks, both port and starboard. Although they were vented into the same cabin, I have always felt uneasy when it comes to batteries in liveable areas, especially sleeping quarters. I have vented them elsewhere, and sealed the compartments. Also, being so low to the bilge compartment it does not take much water in a sinking boat to put all D.C. systems in-op, as happened in the case of my vessel. What I have done is place 1 heavy duty, deep cycle battery up high in the Lazzerette that will maintain bilge pumps(2 of which I also added, thats another story) and, also keep a VHF radio operational if ever in a sinking situation. Also, I have made the aft bulkhead to the laz as watertight as she can possibly be. Unfortunately, fuel fill and exhaust hoses, air-conditioning, cables and wires have made swiss cheese out of this bulkhead, which was never designed to be water-tight, but trust me you want it to be! I designed and put into place a "deadlight Style" system for the A/C return and vents that can be put into place if needed. More on Bilge systems later RL

Status
Not open for further replies.